Low impact forestry services in Devon and the South West

Big J

On 01/09/2019 at 15:13, Khriss said:

Ahah! Pricked yr interest! Well. They fell out of use in UK Forestry fr many reasons. Have seen the massive yarders used in US ( an their huge cost!) but cos of the mini forwarding brigade on here doing low impact work- thought that small scale skylining would fit alongside. It's a trailer rig ( towed by Landrover)  Igland 4000 double drum driven by donkey engine with 200m drums pulling 3ton. Setup should be under an hour with two men. Working footprint of abt 10 sqr mtr.  Basically it's aimed at steep banks/hills, wetland or ecosensitive sites. Easy to move n low cost of running. Overstock removals or harvesting softwoods on impassable terrain..... Sadly I work full time as is. So watch this space.. K

theres not many steep banks that the modern harvesters and forwarders cant do... even then they just cut a road in and fell to it

• Like 1

10 hours ago, slasherscot said:

theres not many steep banks that the modern harvesters and forwarders cant do... even then they just cut a road in and fell to it

No mate. If Price/Volume/Access equation works in favour of Forwarder. Use that. If it works in favour of Skyliner. Use that. Forestry 101. Not many forwarders can jump rivers. Picz when its on trial. K

On 01/09/2019 at 15:13, Khriss said:

Ahah! Pricked yr interest! Well. They fell out of use in UK Forestry fr many reasons. Have seen the massive yarders used in US ( an their huge cost!) but cos of the mini forwarding brigade on here doing low impact work- thought that small scale skylining would fit alongside. It's a trailer rig ( towed by Landrover)  Igland 4000 double drum driven by donkey engine with 200m drums pulling 3ton. Setup should be under an hour with two men. Working footprint of abt 10 sqr mtr.  Basically it's aimed at steep banks/hills, wetland or ecosensitive sites. Easy to move n low cost of running. Overstock removals or harvesting softwoods on impassable terrain..... Sadly I work full time as is. So watch this space.. K

What will the carriage run on, do you have a separate winch for the mainline?

28 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Its a towed rig based on the old Issacksen idea from 1950s, Igland 4000 double drum driven by Lister diesel. Carriage is a locking shotgun for side hauling . 3 ton load . 200m on current drums. Abt 1.5 ton kerb weight. K

I might like that, if I properly understood it, so looking forward to the pics. 

Do u not need 3 drums??

Mainline and haul in and back haul??

Edit khriss ignore some of my comments I see u mentioned the points on the last page, so looks like u have it well figured out

U could run a high lead set up of the 2 but not a proper skyline unless u only done downhil back husks and let gravity do the work.

I've actually in process of doing something similar althou only a single 5t drum powered by an old Lister engine, just for pulling outsiders in.

I'm hoping to get underside guarded this wknd and off to welders on Mon for some work outside my comfort zone ( and I don't have the materials either)

I wanted a double drum but just couldn't get the set up I wanted without the money going crazy.

As it turns out managed to buy a compact custom built skidder with double drum winches,a right handy wee tool, just fettling it at moment.

Ps, mibbee picked u up wrong ( and probably teaching u to suck eggs, sorry) but u said 200m on drums. Do u have the same on both?

U really want atleast an extra 100% on back haul drum even for a high lead system, probably even more, usually a smaller dia to allow it

Even a simple straighrt line high lead system ur haul back needs to be 2x length of pull

Edited by drinksloe
  • Like 1

Just to add have u seen the old timber master skyline set ups??

Never seen 1 in flesh but still on A B's site.

Tractor towed works of PTO, own small mast think have 4 or 5 drums as well as guys.

Not sure the money involved in them thou or wot nick 2nd hand 1s are in. Look a good idea in principle, but then again many things do but don't always work in practice. But with timber prices as high as they are never a better time to try ( althou contractors and haulage rates often still cut to bone)

Does loler not raise its ugly head when u start getting involved with skylines rather than straight winching/ highlead systems???

3 drums for skyline, some have an extra drum for a lightweight strawline to get the mainline rigged.

Igland 4000 are rated 4 ton bare drum, obviously this decreases as the drum fills,that is 4 ton pull, doesn't mean it will pull 4 ton weight though., I have owned a couple of mounted sets over the years.  I also worked an igland 8000 with oversize drums mounted on a 360 on highlead work, very disappointing.

1 hour ago, drinksloe said:

Do u not need 3 drums??

Mainline and haul in and back haul??

Edit khriss ignore some of my comments I see u mentioned the points on the last page, so looks like u have it well figured out

U could run a high lead set up of the 2 but not a proper skyline unless u only done downhil back husks and let gravity do the work.

I've actually in process of doing something similar althou only a single 5t drum powered by an old Lister engine, just for pulling outsiders in.

I'm hoping to get underside guarded this wknd and off to welders on Mon for some work outside my comfort zone ( and I don't have the materials either)

I wanted a double drum but just couldn't get the set up I wanted without the money going crazy.

As it turns out managed to buy a compact custom built skidder with double drum winches,a right handy wee tool, just fettling it at moment.

Ps, mibbee picked u up wrong ( and probably teaching u to suck eggs, sorry) but u said 200m on drums. Do u have the same on both?

U really want atleast an extra 100% on back haul drum even for a high lead system, probably even more, usually a smaller dia to allow it

Even a simple straighrt line high lead system ur haul back needs to be 2x length of pull

Yr right Drinks, on Haul-Back, but the whole Cable-Logging system is fraught for the new operator or clueless ( hence state of my Igland when I bought it) it really needs site planning before you even cut a tree down. LoLer 98 WILL apply, my application will be inaccessible spots and Eco sensitive sites. As its towable by any 4x4 it can easily be moved around country.