Low impact forestry services in Devon and the South West

Big J

• 4 weeks later...

On 01/08/2019 at 19:53, slack ma girdle said:

The start of a very long slow clearance of pine and larch around the old gunpowder work near Pontneddfechan.
A lot of constraints due to archeological interest, and the timber has to remain on site, which is breaking my heart .
20190801_095441.jpg20190801_095519.jpg

Why does the timber have to stay on the site, and how is it to be used?, or is it being left to rot?

1 hour ago, slack ma girdle said:
14 hours ago, difflock said:
Why does the timber have to stay on the site, and how is it to be used?, or is it being left to rot?

Its being left to rot. The owner of the access track doesn't want any lorries on it, and there isn't anywhere to stack the timber off site

Habitat then .

On 29/08/2019 at 08:36, slack ma girdle said:
On 28/08/2019 at 20:00, difflock said:

Its being left to rot. The owner of the access track doesn't want any lorries on it, and there isn't anywhere to stack the timber off site

Well that's shit then. Would a Skyline get it out to a stack point? K

• Like 1

On 29/08/2019 at 08:36, slack ma girdle said:
On 28/08/2019 at 20:00, difflock said:

BUT no stack site is available, though one might have imagined it could have been directly loaded onto a parked up truck, but presumably this is unworkable.

Still a crying shame.

Heli extraction perhaps, get the MOD involved?

Good offer Diffs,  helo extraction out of question on that n MoD are strapped fr cash n men. I asked as I am building a Skyline rig and would be much faster n cheaper than quad biking it out ( good effort by the way) as a river is no obstacle to a Skyliner. Mine is looking to be 200m on Haulback- 300m on Skyline with fiddling. So jobs like this could be worthwhile to me. K

• Like 1

Good offer Diffs,  helo extraction out of question on that n MoD are strapped fr cash n men. I asked as I am building a Skyline rig and would be much faster n cheaper than quad biking it out ( good effort by the way) as a river is no obstacle to a Skyliner. Mine is looking to be 200m on Haulback- 300m on Skyline with fiddling. So jobs like this could be worthwhile to me. K
Don't stop there, more info required: hows it powered, pulling capacity, lifting capacity, set up time, any pictures/ diagrams etc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, slack ma girdle said:
3 hours ago, Khriss said:

Don't stop there, more info required: hows it powered, pulling capacity, lifting capacity, set up time, any pictures/ diagrams etc

Ahah! Pricked yr interest! Well. They fell out of use in UK Forestry fr many reasons. Have seen the massive yarders used in US ( an their huge cost!) but cos of the mini forwarding brigade on here doing low impact work- thought that small scale skylining would fit alongside. It's a trailer rig ( towed by Landrover)  Igland 4000 double drum driven by donkey engine with 200m drums pulling 3ton. Setup should be under an hour with two men. Working footprint of abt 10 sqr mtr.  Basically it's aimed at steep banks/hills, wetland or ecosensitive sites. Easy to move n low cost of running. Overstock removals or harvesting softwoods on impassable terrain..... Sadly I work full time as is. So watch this space.. K

• Like 7