Low impact forestry services in Devon and the South West

Big J

Many of the issues with forestry in the UK is that we don't seem to take the long term approach. The ground and tree damage incurred by heavy handed thinning practices detrimentally affects the quality of the final crop. But given that this takes decades to be fully realised, it's not at the forefront of the minds of some woodland owners when work is being done. 

I think it's getting better, and my intention is to show that sensitive and ecologically minded practices can be productive and profitable. Forestry still needs to pay, and as much as it's nice to see, things like horse logging are commercially unviable in almost all instances. There is a happy medium, and I believe that the approach I'm going to be taking is just that. Time will tell though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, woodland dweller said:

Hi Big j. I could give you plenty of work with mobile milling, shame your not bringing your mill down with you, but not with extraction as a mate does all of mine, if that changes i will defo get in touch, Honiton area so close. 

Thanks for the offer. I've done mobile milling in the past and hated it. Compared to being based out of the yard, it's really hard work and not very lucrative. Keep me in mind for those very soft sites :D

On 3/11/2018 at 16:51, devon TWiG said:

Welcome to Devon Big J !!    I have recently seen a job that some horse loggers have done that your machine would have been far better and far, far , more productive than  .... I can see potential for more than  just tree  jobs with that bit of kit ...

They’ve left a tidy site though! Was down there the other day 

I'll be following this with interest, I'm near Cullompton myself and can think of a few jobs where this kind of machine would be very useful. If you need any help with anything or finding your way around drop me message ??

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help and encouragement chaps. Can't wait to get started :D

Now, all promise that you won't laugh at me as I fold myself in and out of the machine! The cab is being enlarged slightly for me, but I'll still look ridiculous, and I know it!

2 minutes ago, Big J said:

Thanks for all the help and encouragement chaps. Can't wait to get started :D

Now, all promise that you won't laugh at me as I fold myself in and out of the machine! The cab is being enlarged slightly for me, but I'll still look ridiculous, and I know it!

Jonathan . You don't look ridiculous . The cab is ridiculously small bud !  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Jonathan . You don't look ridiculous . The cab is ridiculously small bud !  

Funny thing is that it isn't! The normal height operator looked quite at home in it. I am basically this guy:

hqdefault.jpg