Anyone bothered with 4x4 double cab tipper?

billpierce

Looking at something I can fit family in( ideally 5 seats but meybs a extra cab would do). this is why I sold me mk4 hilux

Would like to hear from anyone with a extra cab or double cab pickup how irritating the small load space is and has anyone bothered with a tipper. I suspect waste of time as load space in a single cab small enough anyways but happy to hear otherwise.

Cheers

I have a king cab L200 tipper. Rear 'seats' are tiny. You couldn't get a kiddie seat in there and by time they are out of them they'll be too big for the back. Kits, coats, lunch go on our back seats.

A double cab tipper is going to have the weight very far back and you'll overload the rear axle easily.

I looked into this for exactly the same reasons, occasional family wagon/work horse. There just isn't enough space. Kid and king cabs are useless for rear passengers, and double cabs don't have the load space, Its a nice idea but what you'll end up with is a vehicle that doesn't do either job very well. Everything you do to make it a better work horse will make it a worse family wagon and vice versa. Take putting heavy duty leafs in to help with the tipper and chip weight, then watch the kids teeth rattle out when the rears empty, doesn't make for a pleasant journey.

9 minutes ago, flatyre said:

I looked into this for exactly the same reasons, occasional family wagon/work horse. There just isn't enough space. Kid and king cabs are useless for rear passengers, and double cabs don't have the load space, Its a nice idea but what you'll end up with is a vehicle that doesn't do either job very well. Everything you do to make it a better work horse will make it a worse family wagon and vice versa. Take putting heavy duty leafs in to help with the tipper and chip weight, then watch the kids teeth rattle out when the rears empty, doesn't make for a pleasant journey.

Don't put heavy duty leafs on . Put " helper"  leafs on . They only come into play when there is a load up .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1