Replacing cylinder and piston Stihl MS 260

Craig Howe

17 hours ago, EricBradley said:

If you tell us the running issues your saws having we may be able to point you in the right direction

It takes a fair few pulls before it starts, idle is low but chain runs on tick over, the chain is sufficiently tight, it gets up to revs ok but as soon as i cut with it, it looses power. Occasionally stalls. 

Have you had the plug out, looked at the colour and checked the gap.

Sounds like you got a clutch prob as well, if the tick over is low and chain runs.

i'm sure there's many possibilities of reasons as to why. But as said before simple to take exhaust off and look at rings/piston (are they gummed etc,) take a pic if your not sure. While the exhaust is off you can look into the spark plug hole and observe  other places within the cylinder.

thats my 2p worth.

cheers

11 hours ago, Wonkydonkey said:

Have you had the plug out, looked at the colour and checked the gap.

Sounds like you got a clutch prob as well, if the tick over is low and chain runs.

i'm sure there's many possibilities of reasons as to why. But as said before simple to take exhaust off and look at rings/piston (are they gummed etc,) take a pic if your not sure. While the exhaust is off you can look into the spark plug hole and observe  other places within the cylinder.

thats my 2p worth.

cheers

I replaced the spark plug, colour was just the usual light brown. Still not running well after. Sounds like it’ll be easier to get a new saw at this rate if clutch is gone as well!

51 minutes ago, Craig Howe said:

I replaced the spark plug, colour was just the usual light brown. Still not running well after. Sounds like it’ll be easier to get a new saw at this rate if clutch is gone as well!

Might just be a spring .........

So it needs new clutch springs to get over the chain running at idle and 026/MS260s suffer with the piston skirts wearing. Fit a decent piston and new springs, worth checking the plating especially if it has an earlier wire mesh air filter but seems like and easy refurb to me!

My 260,s chain used to run on a bit longer than it should have after I decelerated. It also was a bit crap at starting in a cut if the revs were not high. New springs helped.

i see spud jumped in while I was typing, great minds think alike ?

Edited by Wonkydonkey

On 07/03/2018 at 20:49, spudulike said:

So it needs new clutch springs to get over the chain running at idle and 026/MS260s suffer with the piston skirts wearing. Fit a decent piston and new springs, worth checking the plating especially if it has an earlier wire mesh air filter but seems like and easy refurb to me!

Thanks Spud and guys for recommending the spring. I Haven’t replaced a clutch spring before, is it fairly straight forward?

7 hours ago, Craig Howe said:

Thanks Spud and guys for recommending the spring. I Haven’t replaced a clutch spring before, is it fairly straight forward?

Easy, quick job - assuming the springs are just weak, and no subsequent damage to fix broken pieces. There are different spring arrangements from different manufacturers - for the MS260 there are 3 little springs holding the 3 weights together. It'll be quite obvious once you've taken the clutch drum off, so, chain cover off,  bar and chain off, ping the circlip off the crank, remove washer and clutch drum and the bearing. Don't lose that circlip.

Remove and replace each spring in turn,  you do need to do all three. Long noise pliers or even better rounded noise pliers to avoid scratching the spring ... but they are pretty tough little beggars so just go for it. 

HTH.