Jo Beau M400 Drum repair

N Cooper

Good evening,

I wondered if anybody knew where I can get a chipper drum shaft repaired for a Jo Beau M400. It's a used/second hand machine and I went to fit new blades and found a problem with the drum. After stripping down the machine found one bearing was seized and this has worn the shaft where the shaft runs through the bearing at the pulley end. Having bought the blades and spares from Global Recycling (Jo Beau dealer) I contacted them to get a quote to for a new drum, as wasn't sure if it could be repaired. I was quoted £773.14 + VAT + delivery for new drum (will need pair of new bearing too). They have advised me to try to get it repaired locally, I'm near Derby. Anyone know any good engineering firms that do these sort of repairs?

Neil

WP_20180226_17_41_12_Pro.jpgWP_20180226_17_41_55_Pro.jpg

Edited by N Cooper

1 hour ago, N Cooper said:

Good evening,

I wondered if anybody knew where I can get a chipper drum shaft repaired for a Jo Beau M400. It's a used/second hand machine and I went to fit new blades and found a problem with the drum. After stripping down the machine found one bearing was seized and this has worn the shaft where the shaft runs through the bearing at the pulley end. Having bought the blades and spares from Global Recycling (Jo Beau dealer) I contacted them to get a quote to for a new drum, as wasn't sure if it could be repaired. I was quoted £773.14 + VAT + delivery for new drum (will need pair of new bearing too). They have advised me to try to get it repaired locally, I'm near Derby. Anyone know any good engineering firms that do these sort of repairs?

Neil

Did they not recommend anyone? Derby isn't a million miles from Grantham. You should be able to weld up and lathe the shaft back true. 

1 hour ago, Jonny69 said:

Did they not recommend anyone? Derby isn't a million miles from Grantham. You should be able to weld up and lathe the shaft back true. 

No they didn't. TBH I sent them the photos to show what the problem was and they suggested a repair, but quoted me for new drum and bearings.....just incase, they have been quite helpful. I only bought the chipper in November last year and don't think looking at the bearing and shaft it was greased for a while. It was chipping but blades needed replacing as very worn, but sharp.

30 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

Some good places here in lincoln that would be able to do the job but maybe a bit far.
I would have thought you would find somewhere in derby or if not Nottingham

Where in Lincoln would you recommend? I'm trying to find somewhere closer, but if I can't I may need to look further. Would it be ok just filled with weld and machined down to size?

47 minutes ago, N Cooper said:

No they didn't. TBH I sent them the photos to show what the problem was and they suggested a repair, but quoted me for new drum and bearings.....just incase, they have been quite helpful. I only bought the chipper in November last year and don't think looking at the bearing and shaft it was greased for a while. It was chipping but blades needed replacing as very worn, but sharp.

Ring them again, ask to speak to Andy in service. He should be able to sort you out with a phone number. 

54 minutes ago, N Cooper said:

Where in Lincoln would you recommend? I'm trying to find somewhere closer, but if I can't I may need to look further. Would it be ok just filled with weld and machined down to size?

Not sure on repair it’s not my kind of thing at all. As for a place there are several good quality engineering shops in lincoln that could do the job.

worth asking I suppose but with travel, the repair it would probably be expensive.

Google engineering company in Derby and ring a few. I know of a bloody good Ag engineer over by Loughborough who is an absolute diamond at stuff. He used to do anything that I wanted doing before I went to GreenMech and still does the odd thing for me now!