Free firewood

JasonHeywood

Hi Jason, Lime is not great firewood, but there may be demand from wood carvers.  You might have more luck finding a woodcarving club or just advertising on ebay or gumtree.  There are lots of hobby woodworkers who would like Lime, but the trouble is it might be more hassle than it is worth as each person might only want a few little bits.  If I was closer I might have had it for milling.

1 hour ago, Squaredy said:

Hi Jason, Lime is not great firewood, but there may be demand from wood carvers.  You might have more luck finding a woodcarving club or just advertising on ebay or gumtree.  There are lots of hobby woodworkers who would like Lime, but the trouble is it might be more hassle than it is worth as each person might only want a few little bits.  If I was closer I might have had it for milling.

Nothing wrong with it when it's free. :001_smile:

The Beast from the East was the final blow (in all senses of the word) for two large veteran limes growing on chalk.  They are fairly rotten and hollow at the base but there is a lot of timber further up.

Is it really bad for burning or just not as good as Ash.  Does it work better mixed in with other wood and is it good on a log burner?

Perhaps it might be better to use overnight and stay in longer than some other hard woods.

They are both next to each other, I think one brought down the other.

I intend to use them as firewood but as a matter of interest which parts of the tree are the turners after?

I could perhaps put those parts to one side.

Wood carvers (not so much turners) would like almost any part.  Small chunks will be what they want.  Small boards maybe 3 or 4 inches thick, and thicker chunks.

As firewood it does dry quickly, but it doesn't have much density and so won't last long on your fire.  But it will still burn.

Putting "Lime as Firewood" into the search engine here comes up with wildly differing views of it as a fire wood.

Perhaps a large veteran tree may have very different characteristics to younger timber.

I will have to try it since it is free, and report back

Big J

• Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2014
  • Big J
  •  
  • 4,679 posts

Yep, lime.

Lovely firewood. Splits easily, seasons extremely quickly, bright, strong flame. Won't last as long as oak or ash on the fire, but split now, it would be under 20% MC by June.

timberdelf

• timberdelf
  •  
  • 175 posts

burns rubbish and stinks:sneaky2:

Undisputed

• Undisputed
  •  
  • 1 post

I'm burning lime wood presently that has been seasoned near two years.

Burns just fine :001_smile:

Not sure why it has got such a bad rep. I was worried when I read all the reviews of lime wood after I had split a significant amount. I have it in the wood burner right now. Nice flame and chucks out lots of heat. What more could you want?

Lucan said:
Some of the less durable species (lime, birch, HC, etc) will start to degrade in the log shed after 2yrs, even when down to <20%MC

I've also heard this. I've got about 3 tonnes of lime wood that has been cut into round circles just under two years ago and still needs splitting. Does that mean that the wood has started to degrade already?

Here are some pictures of the two Limes. Very difficult to take a good photo on the steep wet bank but each one must be four foot diameter, four foot up from the trunk.  A bonus is that they took down a two foot diameter Ash with them which is buried beneath

By the way the second picture is not "Rate my Hinge"!

IMG_1469.JPG

IMG_1470.JPG