Etched stove glass

richardwale

My stove glass was etched, cloudy patches caused by fly ash embedded in the glass. Distorted the view, really annoying. 

A wet cloth made it go away and then as soon as it dried the cloudy bit came back. I was told nothing could be done apart from replacing the expensive ceramic glass. But no, silicon carbide 400 grit wet and dry sandpaper from Halfords, £3. Brand new super clear glass. Works a treat.

• Like 1

I'll be trying that! I've got a few pieces of etched glass in the garage from when I've changed them over the years. It needs doing again so this could save me £70.

I also read that prolonged over heating can cause the glass to be etched. Sometimes I've come in and the wife has it running flat out like a raging inferno... so she's had the blame!

2 hours ago, richardwale said:

It works, a bit of elbow grease and clear glass. The grits go as high as 1500 so a super polish finish is available 

And the rest....not that you'd need it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WET-AND-DRY-SANDPAPER-MIXED-Assorted-GRIT-2000-2500-3000-5000-7000-PACK-OF-5/263050894805?epid=8003922941&hash=item3d3f0e1dd5:g:qsEAAOSw1BlZS6xT

Well that's 2 hrs of my life I'm not getting back! [emoji23]

Didn't work for me unfortunately. I tried 400 grit wet and dry by hand, then in a sander, and also tried glass polishing powder (cerium oxide powder). Still hazy and looks worse if anything.

I think I'll stick to buying a new piece of glass every year! [emoji16]

20 hours ago, mattplace said:

Well that's 2 hrs of my life I'm not getting back! emoji23.png

Didn't work for me unfortunately. I tried 400 grit wet and dry by hand, then in a sander, and also tried glass polishing powder (cerium oxide powder). Still hazy and looks worse if anything.

I think I'll stick to buying a new piece of glass every year! emoji16.png

Sorry it didn't work for you,  has previously wasted hours on different methods to try and get the glass back to being clear but this sandpaper worked a treat.

Iv'e always used fire ash on damp kitchen paper on my B & G infire 800 before lighting a fire. But every third or fourth log I wipe the inside (flame side) of the glass with 00 grade wire wool and never had a problem........... YET!!!!!! and this fires five years old now. You get a nice bright fire all night and a ball of wire wool the size of a fist lasts for most of a winter