Big "Dawgs"

NickinMids

In particular, a set of big dogs will go through waterproof trousers if you're not careful.  I've got a set of big spikes on my Dolmar and they're good if you really want to dog the saw in, but a bit overkill for most thin barked trees.  You also lose a bit of length on the bar.  I find it a bit of a pain to keep changing dogs over so tend to stick with one set once they're on the saw.

46 minutes ago, TheHungrySquirrel said:

Have a few saws with them on. So much nicer as they always grip. I find when I go back to my 550/560 the single dog slides around a lot

Put an outer dog on it if you're finding that.  Don't have to be massive American style things.  I run an outer dog on almost all my saws, normal European style.  Got big dogs for some, but only running on the Dolly at present.

i like the bigger spikes on mine, 562xp and 372 xp , and the 395 xp which has big ones stock anyway , do some rough bark pines and oak and elms , much easier to bite in , but i have prodded myself with them while carrying the saws , but not physical damage just snagging on my safety trousers , getting big dawgs for my 7900 Makita soon too :-)  first pic  562 has the UK medium dawgs  , second pic has the US  slightly bigger / longer ones . 372 has only recently had bigger ones fitted  than the singe small one  

562xp6.jpg

IMG_6277.jpg

IMG_7580.jpg

IMG_7581.jpg

Edited by huskywilson
  • Like 1

I'm suprised no one has come in with the old "if it was sharp you don't need spikes " comment which is to an extent true, any "older" members will rember when anything upto 60cc ish would just have a bumper fitted - didn't the 630 come with both a bumper and small felling spike ? Anyway, yes a good not over large set are helpful more so on rough ground where just staying on your feet is hard work and you can let the saw do it's thing. You do lose a bit on the bar but just go up a bit i.e. 22" instead of 20".

By the way yes you can get an outer spike for the 560 just as already said. 

Can't get outer dogs on a 560 without putting the 562 side case on.
Although my 562 came the other day so will have a play swapping bits over

You can actually Will. They come with instructions to drill out two pre-marked holes on the inside of the clutch cover. [emoji106]

https://www.ransomspares.co.uk/parts/brands/husqvarna/chainsaws/560%20xp__xpg/spike-outer/720686.htm
  • Thanks 1