300 TDi fuel stop solenoid help!

Matthew Storrs

21 minutes ago, gensetsteve said:

Are you buying cheap pattern part solinoids. Maybe Oem quality part or genuine from landrover. The other thing to check is the alternator is not over charging because high voltage may burn them out. 

Yeah I did think about that which is why i was quick to change them again, 1st 2 were Britpart and the latest is Bearmach. Convenience because that’s all the local shop had in stock.

I have the same solinoid on my bobcat Peugeot engine first one lasted 15 years now I seem to need a new one every few years I think I get them from hella. The other thing to do and this is even more important on the later td5 is don't run around on empty all the time as the fuel gets hotter as it passes through the engine and empty tank heats up more and quicker than a full one 

29 minutes ago, woody paul said:

What is the fuel level in the tank like when this is happening.

If low you maybe looking at the wrong thing could be lift pump not got enough push.

But it works absolutely fine when the stop solenoid plunger is removed- this wouldn’t have an effect on the lift pump would it? Also when I crack the banjo but of the top of the fuel and turn it over, volumes of fuel comes out.

Could a poor earth on the main chassis have any effect? Wouldn’t have thought so or if would be loathe to even turn over... the saga continues! Thanks 

You have checked every possible problem by the sound of it, main chassis earth would also affect other things like lights, radio going off had this problem with the 1 under cab which pass through terminal on chassis, put a extra lead from engine to body work. I would just straight wire solenoid from battery via a switch and see.

• Like 1

This is starting to do my head in now! Every other elelectrics functions perfectly normal, the solenoid works fine if I wire it straight off the battery-and earth it through the battery. There is 12v coming to the solenoid through the wire but it just will not make the solenoid function.

surely if there is 12v coming to it and its earthing through the engine, how can it not work...?