Opinions on forestry tow vehicles

I've been getting tempted with some of the better examples of the Discovery 2 that I've seen on eBay and Autotrader. What have people's experiences been like? My uncle over in Germany is big into Defenders and highly rates the TD5 engine. 

My primary concern is lack of power (136bhp), but my uncle is able to reprogramme the ECU up to 170bhp without requiring mechanical upgrade.

Check the rear half of the chassis for rust, as they can rust badly. The rear air suspension units can be retrofittted with steel springs, slightly harsher ride. Other than that not bad motors, easily tuned

16 minutes ago, htb said:

Check the rear half of the chassis for rust, as they can rust badly. The rear air suspension units can be retrofittted with steel springs, slightly harsher ride. Other than that not bad motors, easily tuned

Thanks for that. My budget allows me to consider the best of the later Discovery 2s, and I'd probably ask my uncle to come look at them with me.  

I need something comfortable as I'm going to be driving it at least 8-10 hours a week at a guess and there isn't much that I fit into that well.

Discovery 2s are lovely trucks. Very versatile, good at most things, easily tuneable, mechanicaly straight forward, I really should get one! 

Have you ever tried a defender with a small steering wheel, chopped out bulkhead and extended seat rails? I'm only a couple of inches shorter than you and probably a lot bulkier and I can happily drive my defender in great big boots. I have driven it 300 miles without stopping before, 500 miles most weeks and regularly more. It's also a brilliant tow vehicle. Just a thought.

I’d say the disco 2 with the TD5 is a very viable choice.

in terms of power - how much do you need. Local groundwork’s contractor uses a Disco 2 to move his 3 ton diggers all over the place. A mate of mine has one too and has used it to tow my 3 tonner around too, and it’s not easy terrain around hear. Power means little if the gearing is not there for heavy towing. This is why defenders are good towers- not much power and shameful on the motorway but plenty of low gearing for lugging.

Edited by Matthew Storrs

On 22/03/2018 at 13:48, Johnsond said:

That's a couple of pics he sent not the best but it gives you some idea J. Patrol was prepped up for and completed the London to cape town rally hence the cage etc 

IMG_8078.JPG

IMG_8079.JPG

IMG_8080.JPG

I mind that patrol was up for sale about 2-3 years ago and felt really bad for not buying it! could you pm some more details?

9 hours ago, william127 said:

Discovery 2s are lovely trucks. Very versatile, good at most things, easily tuneable, mechanicaly straight forward, I really should get one! 

Have you ever tried a defender with a small steering wheel, chopped out bulkhead and extended seat rails? I'm only a couple of inches shorter than you and probably a lot bulkier and I can happily drive my defender in great big boots. I have driven it 300 miles without stopping before, 500 miles most weeks and regularly more. It's also a brilliant tow vehicle. Just a thought.

I know that you can get cruise control on post 1999 Defenders, and that's the deal breaker for me. My back is 95% better than 6 months ago (after 9 years of chronic pain) but I'm quite reliant on cruise to give my right leg a break. I'm 6ft 8" and 115kg now after 5.5 months at the gym. The intention is to gain another 15kg and I'm certain I wouldn't fit then. 

I do reckon Defenders are a fantastic investment now though - it's bonkers how much the prices have gone up since production ceased. 

8 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

I’d say the disco 2 with the TD5 is a very viable choice.

in terms of power - how much do you need. Local groundwork’s contractor uses a Disco 2 to move his 3 ton diggers all over the place. A mate of mine has one too and has used it to tow my 3 tonner around too, and it’s not easy terrain around hear. Power means little if the gearing is not there for heavy towing. This is why defenders are good towers- not much power and shameful on the motorway but plenty of low gearing for lugging.

It's a fair point. I'm used to towing longer distances with heavy timber loads and you feel every incline with 160bhp. Perhaps it's unrealistic to expect to be able to hold velocity on these hills, but I do rather like the idea of being able to continue as if the hill wasn't really there (like I'd expect I would be able to do with one of Ford's big 7.3l Powerstrokes, or the Touareg V10 TDI). 

Silly really on reflection. I would think a Disco 2 tuned to 170bhp would be amply powerful. 

Thanks for all the recommendations. The Disco 2 is pretty much the only vehicle you've all agreed on so it sounds like the best bet.