Opinions on forestry tow vehicles

I'll throw a weirdo oddball at you. How about going Korean with Ssang Yong?-  the Rexton has a 3500kg capacity and runs slightly old school (ie repairable) Mercedes engines and gearboxes.

They are ugly as sin but pretty robust, also they are seriously cheap and unlikely to have been used as anything other than shopping and school run cars. 

• Like 1

Land cruiser Amazon v8. Brilliant wagon. Good diff lockers too. If your towing in that scenario they are a must.
Also had a 3.2 shogun. That was a bomb proof car too. Towed well. Both are ultra reliable.
Another consideration is an old Range Rover. I think L322 is the most reliable they made. Certainly way more so than a disco 4.
These are all nice and comfortable and at that budget you don’t have to precious about them in the woods so ideal. If your going off road you might as well be comfy.

I'd forgotten about the Ssangyong Will, but it might just be a bit too uncool for me! I'm sure they are done and I'm not generally image concerned, but Ssangyong seem to produce only hideous vehicles!

Lux. Thanks for the recommendations. Another for the landcruiser. It looks like the likely option then. 

I’m running a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Has a 3lt V6 Mercedes Diesel engine. Has been surprisingly very good off road and plenty of grunt (I don’t have any experience towing with it). Might be worth a look for you? Again, most likely just been used on school runs etc and not worked hard.

11 minutes ago, CutterSy said:

I’m running a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Has a 3lt V6 Mercedes Diesel engine. Has been surprisingly very good off road and plenty of grunt (I don’t have any experience towing with it). Might be worth a look for you? Again, most likely just been used on school runs etc and not worked hard.

I was just in a 3 litre Grand Cherokee yesterday in Finland. Really nice, but very small inside for someone my height. Went like the clappers too.

I was just in a 3 litre Grand Cherokee yesterday in Finland. Really nice, but very small inside for someone my height. Went like the clappers too.

I’m 6’3” and find it has plenty of room. You get a lot of car for the money too. Low range box and ELSDs. Mine is a 2005 so an older shape than the current one.

I’m 6’3” and find it has plenty of room. You get a lot of car for the money too. Low range box and ELSDs. Mine is a 2005 so an older shape than the current one.

I am sure I read something about grand Cherokees and tow bar issues. Something about a fuel tank rupture in rear end crashes.

Ignore that. It was ones built pre 2000.

10 minutes ago, CutterSy said:

Big difference between 6ft 3" and 6ft 8" when it comes to cars. My seat was a long way back and my head was brushing the ceiling and knees were up against the dash. 

Lovely 4x4 though, and ideal for anyone a bit shorter than myself. Apparently people taller than 6ft 4" are statistically insignificant so car safety features don't work for people taller. 

Big difference between 6ft 3" and 6ft 8" when it comes to cars. My seat was a long way back and my head was brushing the ceiling and knees were up against the dash. 

Lovely 4x4 though, and ideal for anyone a bit shorter than myself. Apparently people taller than 6ft 4" are statistically insignificant so car safety features don't work for people taller. 

Wow 6’8” I understand why you’re having trouble finding something to fit! Can’t be much out there you can comfortably fit in. Good luck
  • Like 1