Beer Money Firewood Set-up

Luckyeleven

8 minutes ago, Stere said:

Would most  arb arisings  split into beautiful long billets like thoose?

A few local lads I know take arb arisings and sell logs for beer tokens, one of them manages to get ten to twelve loads a week out this time of year. He buys no wood whatsoever, its all mixed hard/softwood as it comes.

Bob

8 hours ago, benedmonds said:

The OP doesn't need anything tax deductible except an axe.. Split the wood yourself whenever you get a spare hour.  Leave it to season for 2 years, don't spend any money, sell small quantities (sacks possibly barrow bags) at a relatively high price to local people. Hand ball everything.  How much "beer money" do you need.

Split it with an axe! You’re having a giraffe. Table top hydraulic splitter, costs buttons.

It's possible to make money on a small scale, especially if you get the wood for free, but I would only do it if you enjoy the work as it's not going to make a lot of profit and as mentioned on that scale you'll be competing with anyone with a bit of woodland and tree surgeons.

In terms of cost it would probably be better value to get a contractor in with a processor then sell the wood but if you want to do it yourself it's surprising what you can do with a chainsaw, sawhorse and small hydraulic splitter (all of which are tax deductible if that matters to you). 

Drying is the biggest issue assuming you don't have a lot of space and will be a lot of extra handling if you don't have a telehandler or similar. 

200euro a cord?

Cord is  a US measurement :001_rolleyes:

In the UK its sold loose by the hilux back,  builder merchant dumpy bag,transit tipper or ivor trailer "measured" load volume.

Cord_of_wood.jpg

I beg to differ re. Cord think you'll find it's been an accepted volume measurement in Britain for centuries, although it may not be an accepted measurement in modern forestry most woodsmen/foresters know what it is[emoji849]
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Luckyeleven said:

http://zurrbind.de/epages/b9928fb7-d64f-4636-a2b3-48fcacdab713.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/b9928fb7-d64f-4636-a2b3-48fcacdab713/Categories/"So funktioniert´s"

This system looks a winner to me, I can simply roll the packages onto and off my trailer saving loads of time.

I'll have the space no doubt and I'll be doing a certain amount for my own use anyway so thought why not just do as much as possible and sell the remainder? The ruthless business man in me thought it may be an idea to only sell late in the season.....when normal sources have been exhausted.

You wont sell much then in a normal winter,  rarely have I known people sell out,  those with kilns dry it all year round and can go from standing timber to logs ready to sell in a couple of weeks.

A

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Luckyeleven said:

The ruthless business man in me thought it may be an idea to only sell late in the season.....when normal sources have been exhausted.

Is there a risk that in warm winters, when everybodies sales are down, no other supplier runs out. 

(Plus kiln owners don’t run out)