Towing in the snow !!!

Bustergasket

Just got in, have been out all day in it and done about 120 miles with the kennel and trailer, most of it on ungritted roads towing a 2.5 ton digger on a tiltbed  IW trailer. Kept it in low range with diff locks , a tad more nose weight on the hitch and took it very steady. A lot less drama compared to running one of the lorries out in this.

Bob

B2ED0C41-3ABB-4FC3-8E8F-8651AE062182_zps

3 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Just got in, have been out all day in it and done about 120 miles with the kennel and trailer, most of it on ungritted roads towing a 2.5 ton digger on a tiltbed  IW trailer. Kept it in low range with diff locks , a tad more nose weight on the hitch and took it very steady. A lot less drama compared to running one of the lorries out in this.

Bob

B2ED0C41-3ABB-4FC3-8E8F-8651AE062182_zps

I take it you hop the digger on and off that trailer! Bent back end lip etc.

18 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

I take it you hop the digger on and off that trailer! Bent back end lip etc.

Its a tilt bed Mathew, tend not to bother with the leccy pump and push the back down with the bucket just enough to get the tracks on.

Bob

image.jpg1_zps3w0wmr1g.jpg

You just need to ask yourself - what will the worst thing that could happen be if I wait till the roads are better?

The answer is usually f-all.

The lads back home in Northumberland are getting hacked off with going out in their tractors to rescue idiots who ‘had an important meeting’ and shite like that.

It’s unlikely anyone is towing a trailer load of rare blood for dying orphans.

Don’t be part of the problem.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

You just need to ask yourself - what will the worst thing that could happen be if I wait till the roads are better?

The answer is usually f-all.

The lads back home in Northumberland are getting hacked off with going out in their tractors to rescue idiots who ‘had an important meeting’ and shite like that.

It’s unlikely anyone is towing a trailer load of rare blood for dying orphans.

Don’t be part of the problem.

Well said Mark!

There are people who really NEED to travel, lets those of us who can wait not get in their way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

No options for me. One jobs three week road closure /TM expired on Friday night so all that work had to be completed/kit offsite  hell or highwater, another two were finished and machines needed to be elsewhere for this coming Monday morning. None of my guys want to stand down for two weeks while this clears up and with the nesting season upon us neither would the customers. Not an ideal situation but safe if you creep along unlike the numpties that were coming past me on these lanes as if it was a dry summers day, saw plenty up cars upside down in ditches. Speed kill's, more so in shit weather  :)

Bob

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aspenarb said:

No options for me. One jobs three week road closure /TM expired on Friday night so all that work had to be completed/kit offsite  hell or highwater, another two were finished and machines needed to be elsewhere for this coming Monday morning. None of my guys want to stand down for two weeks while this clears up and with the nesting season upon us neither would the customers. Not an ideal situation but safe if you creep along unlike the numpties that were coming past me on these lanes as if it was a dry summers day, saw plenty up cars upside down in ditches. Speed kill's, more so in shit weather  :)

Bob

But Bob we've only had a couple of inches of snow, none of the main roads had snow cover for more than 5 hours  and even those roads not gritted had only a hard pack and no drifting which, because there were few out and about, meant I did not get stuck in jams because some numpty  had gone 9in a ditch. 2010 was worse IMO. Now a thaw has set in even our little road is clear but it could get exciting tonight if it freezes to black ice.