How to sell more Firewood

arboriculturist

Tbh, I think any firewood merchant that could sell a cheap log store would do well..

The prices of log stores online are extortionate.... If someone could retail a cheap log store it would mean they coul sell more logs in larger volumes in the off season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BARNSLEY BOB said:

Re Facebook.

Have got a sub page to my personal page.
Used to be able to share posts from my personal page to it.
Can't do now......

Would like to keep the two pages seperate.
How....?

The share to a page option is only available in the browser version of Facebook not the app that's standard on mobiles I think. If you go to the Facebook website on your phone you can still do it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Martin du Preez said:

Yea I've got 2 stove company's that recommend me. They don't want anything in return as we're from the same village but I reckon they also get bored of having a mr and mrs whoever ring up and say their stove isn't working , even though they are trying to burn wet pop aha

That's an interesting thought - trying to burn rubbish then pointing the finger at the stove supplier :thumbup1:

• Like 1

A website people can order from, a facebook site that people can see that links to the website/online shop is essential. All that will happen over the next decade is that online purchasing/searching will increase.

High quality product and SERVICE is what people want.

I laugh when I read stuff on here. All people are interested in is how they can do it for the least amount of hassle themselves. Turn up, tip it on someone's drive and go. Excellent service.

We deliver everything in barrow bags and put them where the customer wants them. 85% of my customers buy again. They ask what about the bags? I say I collect them when I deliver the next lot. 

Simples.... 

1 hour ago, Chalgravesteve said:

A website people can order from, a facebook site that people can see that links to the website/online shop is essential. All that will happen over the next decade is that online purchasing/searching will increase.

High quality product and SERVICE is what people want.

I laugh when I read stuff on here. All people are interested in is how they can do it for the least amount of hassle themselves. Turn up, tip it on someone's drive and go. Excellent service.

We deliver everything in barrow bags and put them where the customer wants them. 85% of my customers buy again. They ask what about the bags? I say I collect them when I deliver the next lot. 

Simples.... 

Delivering in barrow bags clearly works for some - others find it unnecessary. Ash is large scale as are we and there are never complaints delivering loose loads. They seem to enjoy the event.

It's far better environmentally and for the customer's health and wellbeing. 

Take a trip to Scandinavia and many just get the unsplit rings delivered, which has gone on for generations starting with a horse and cart. 

Edited by arboriculturist

1 hour ago, arboriculturist said:

Delivering in barrow bags clearly works for some - others find it unnecessary. Ash is large scale as are we and there are never complaints delivering loose loads. They seem to enjoy the event.

It's far better environmentally and for the customer's health and wellbeing. 

Take a trip to Scandinavia and many just get the unsplit rings delivered, which has gone on for generations starting with a horse and cart. 

I agree, we have 2 different markets. I cater for the people who can’t/won’t store firewood in volume. I’m way cheaper than buying nets from the garage and more expensive than loose bulk suppliers. 

I’m selling mine at around £150 per m3 and it’s a mix of hard and softwood. 

I’ve got 250+ local customers, I data capture and I’m going to be starting a newsletter for my customers next season, same as I do for my golf business members. 

I think the same principles apply to both sectors. Claiming it’s better for the customers health, them shifting the logs themselves, is pushing it though! ??

So the elderly, disabled, etc etc are all better off by shifting it themselves? ?? 

On 3/2/2018 at 12:14, arboriculturist said:

That's an interesting thought - trying to burn rubbish then pointing the finger at the stove supplier :thumbup1:

Oh yes that happens all the time,  and never sweeping the flue,  both of course stove faults !!.   I have seen a flue liner blocked in a few weeks burning fresh felled cord.

A

58 minutes ago, Chalgravesteve said:

I agree, we have 2 different markets. I cater for the people who can’t/won’t store firewood in volume. I’m way cheaper than buying nets from the garage and more expensive than loose bulk suppliers. 

I’m selling mine at around £150 per m3 and it’s a mix of hard and softwood. 

I’ve got 250+ local customers, I data capture and I’m going to be starting a newsletter for my customers next season, same as I do for my golf business members. 

I think the same principles apply to both sectors. Claiming it’s better for the customers health, them shifting the logs themselves, is pushing it though! ??

So the elderly, disabled, etc etc are all better off by shifting it themselves? ?? 

It's uneconomic for us to retail anything less than a m3  due to the logistics of a rural location, even though barrow bags attract a premium. I can see it's good marketing financially.

Is the aim of the Newsletter to increase sales?

I think the quickest way to get old is lack of exercise and our disabled customers seem to manage to arrange help.

I appreciate you have some great strategies for business and thanks for sharing.:001_smile:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

It's uneconomic for us to retail anything less than a m3  due to the logistics of a rural location, even though barrow bags attract a premium. I can see it's good marketing financially.

Is the aim of the Newsletter to increase sales?

I think the quickest way to get old is lack of exercise and our disabled customers seem to manage to arrange help.

I appreciate you have some great strategies for business and thanks for sharing.:001_smile:

No problem. 

The point of a newsletter is to continue to engage with your customers. In my view, especially if you are selling in bulk, then there can be a longer period between them reordering? So, to maintain a communication with them also maintains your name in their minds so they are more likely to think of you as they need to reorder or you prompt the thought that they need to. 

If you dont don’t talk to your customer, someone else might. It’s just a simple mechanism to keep you in their minds. 

• Like 2