Time to hang up my spikes

Nathanzac

I'm not trying to say that a good groundie shouldn't be l. But when you are doing the same workload, expected to be the rescue climber and provide your own fuel, equipment and ppe then how is that right? Surely should at least be on the same money for the same hours at least? £90 for an 8hr groundie and £94 for a newly qualified climber for 12hrs

Straight into freelancing from the get go is a big big ask mate.  It takes a few years to get up to a speed where you are making companies money and being able to charge decent money for doing so.  Are you getting repeat work from the same customers?  
I've gone away from freelancing and have set up by myself. I'm getting work in but it doesn't cover bills. My worry is were I live there are a few companies already set up so am I flogging a dead horse? Before getting into this industry I spoke to a few people and was told there's plenty of work around. I'm not expecting to make millions but I need to earn so I can pay bills and support my family. Surely that's not too much to ask of any job?

I started off grounding for a mate of a mate and built up from there.

I now get regular work from him,but i completetly understand its a slow process to build a rapport with tree companies as most are wary of new guys/climbers and have there own guys.

Unless you've got 10 years experience with knowledge and experience of big technical takedowns your on too plums!

I get more work from gardeners than tree companies now but that comes with its issues as most of em dont climb and wont pay for a groundie/rescue climbers.

I can charge more though cause i bring all my own kit.

1 hour ago, Nathanzac said:
1 hour ago, Steve Bullman said:

I've gone away from freelancing and have set up by myself. I'm getting work in but it doesn't cover bills. My worry is were I live there are a few companies already set up so am I flogging a dead horse? Before getting into this industry I spoke to a few people and was told there's plenty of work around. I'm not expecting to make millions but I need to earn so I can pay bills and support my family. Surely that's not too much to ask of any job?

7 years mate, thats the time they say it takes to establish a company.  The people you speak to who are all busy have probably been going a while.

• Like 1

But yes I still think a good groundie gets paid more if they are running the job as many groundie do dictate the speed and efficiency of the whole job. Sobe of them of course are just there for dragging but that's not the same as a proper groundie.