Time to hang up my spikes

Nathanzac

I'd stick art it Nathan , everyone learns as they go - an if yr a new starter - the company often expects a full performance day one . ( Well- they are paying for it ) But perseverance is the name of the game in this field - I look back at all the shit tree jobs I have had to manage an the twats I have worked with - but am now doing exactly what I should be - on the money I should be on - an thats only taken twenty yrs :P

• Like 3

I admit that I'm inexperienced and am happy to take structured criticism but if you are going to do so then make sure you do it correctly. Your 1st paragraph said about climbing srt on a ZZ without a rope wrench and then you said that I decided to not climb any higher, decided to remove the RW and couldn't decend!
How can I remove a RW when according to you I didn't climb with one in the 1st place?

My actions were partly down to inexperience but also 1st day nerves and being thrown straight into srt. What exactly as you quoted was '"dangerous"? With regards to the big shot I didn't use it once and only offered it for others to use. Surely there's nothing wrong with that?

I've come on here to seek advice and possible work and you coming on here stating I was dangerous isn't helping and is in fact demoralising. I thanked you both for the advice that you gave on that day!
This is no criticism only my thoughts take it how you may I have been climbing twenty years all over the world I still go to Germany infact am off next month for two weeks as my diary is quite for April I remember the first time I went I was nervous but i had been climbing for 16 years tree work takes time you cannot substitute it with any amount of new tackle or training these things will help but you need to get experience on the ground watching competent climbers and then practice and get your skills up to a standard you can actually make money for someone i remember u asking how much u would be earning a day befor u went did u consider how much u could make for them tree work is not like working in a factory or a wear house wear u clock on and clock off and as long as you are there that's ok u need to cut trees if u are a climber this means a certain amount of work is required of u if not what's the point contract climbing is a tough and demanding way to make money I personally think minum of 5 years experience befor thinking of calling yourself a freelance climber
  • Like 7

Mate don't get to caught up in all this every gadget under the sun crap turn up be honest about your availability give a good day rate have your kit bag short rope long rope depending on job side strop harness krabs ect and just take your time do it without any damages around and you will get there mate speed isn't everything climb it effectively and efficient and try to work with good firms and if you don't like them don't go back. keep it up mate

• Like 1

Interesting thread, Nathanzac has taken a bit of a professional battering but being inexperienced is not a crime, you have to get experience, and you can only do that by biting the bullet and working full time for someone, with all the drudgery that can entail.

You either resign yourself to that or actually sell your gear and go back to the warehouse.

A year to 18 months more or less is a minimum to get up to speed for most.

• Like 3

if your trying to win your own jobs then there a lot of factors at play way before your climbing skill becomes a factor, your manner with clients, company image and if your new to the game then hows your tree knowledge and ability to assess the situation and client and provide the right job spec and the right price??

just my thoughts, hope things pick up for you.

carl