Time to hang up my spikes

Nathanzac

10 hours ago, RC0 said:

Alright Wes. I did one in December I think but nothing since. I've just been a bit stretched, so not much for that stuff of late.

Too bad, by stretched hope you mean busy and doing well. Get some up when you can, always good knowledgeable videos. 

• Like 1

Too true.

I often find myself coming up to a difficult bit of rigging over a high value target and think ‘what would Reg do?’

If the answer is driving off quickly in the van, blocking the customers phone number, emails and refusing registered letters then I’m bang on message.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Mark Bolam said:

Definitely Wes.

I owe Reg more than a few pints.

I’ve often watched one of his vids the night before a monster takedown I’ve been dreading and you get to the job and it’s 50 foot baby piss.

I think we can all pick up a few good habits and tips by working with or watching others. 

Iv I’ve just picked a handy tip up off @Mick Dempsey never thought to block numbers :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

?

Pro tip that!

One of my best customers has a monster conny hedge that we have over several years got under control (if you met his neighbours you would forgive him).

It’s now an annual cut with hedgecutters, but still a mission.

He calls me every autumn and the excuses I’ve used so far range from a gender alteration operation, I’ve moved to Indonesia and even that I’ve died.

It’s an annual game we both enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 09/03/2018 at 09:40, WesD said:

Too bad, by stretched hope you mean busy and doing well. Get some up when you can, always good knowledgeable videos. 

Yeah just trying to manage time and find better ways to do so. Not looking to grow my company, but is difficult to keep on top of the demand otherwise. Identifying potential timewasters is becoming ever more significant.  For example, I never answer my phone nowdays....and if they can't even be bothered to take a few seconds to leave a message, then they probably not the sort of person i want to deal with anyhow. That alone has worked out pretty well so far. Other than that I can't complain, thanks. I don't expect to ever truly fit in here, but there's still plenty enough good stuff and potential to stop me leaving. Speaking of videos, I actually did by a drone with the intention of filming some of the scenery here....but I've been waiting for the good weather to arrive. Attached photo from a  remote beach on the coast me and our kid had a drive out to. There's always that wild edge to the place that makes it a privilege to be here 

20180106_164010_resized_5(1).jpg

Edited by RC0
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, RC0 said:

Yeah just trying to manage time and find better ways to do so. Not looking to grow my company, but is difficult to keep on top of the demand otherwise. Identifying potential timewasters is becoming ever more significant.  For example, I never answer my phone nowdays....and if they can't even be bothered to take a few seconds to leave a message, then they probably not the sort of person i want to deal with anyhow. That alone has worked out pretty well so far. Other than that I can't complain, thanks. I don't expect to ever truly fit in here, but there's still plenty enough good stuff and potential to stop me leaving. Speaking of videos, I actually did by a drone with the intention of filming some of the scenery here....but I've been waiting for the good weather to arrive. Attached photo from a  remote beach on the coast me and our kid had a drive out to. There's always that wild edge to the place that makes it a privilege to be here 

20180106_164010_resized_5(1).jpg

Shame to think you’ll not fit in, must be nice to still have enough work when not answering your phone though. Is it as hard over there to find good lads with a work ethic as it is here?

Look forward to the drone stuff, I’d love to visit Canada particularly to ski but after recently having our 2nd little ‘un it will be a few years down the line yet, Europe will have to do. 

1 hour ago, WesD said:

Shame to think you’ll not fit in, must be nice to still have enough work when not answering your phone though. Is it as hard over there to find good lads with a work ethic as it is here?

Look forward to the drone stuff, I’d love to visit Canada particularly to ski but after recently having our 2nd little ‘un it will be a few years down the line yet, Europe will have to do. 

I'm not saying I don't get on with people in general....its just that I'm not Canadian. We speak the same language but culturally and socially there's huge differences.

There's plenty good workers around....i just don't want to open my front door every morning and see them stood there. Nor would I wish it on another to have to see me in the same context. I do a lot of solo work, and use sub contractors to help if that's an advantage.

• Like 3