Time to hang up my spikes

Nathanzac

If may throw my 2cents in. From reading this post and your adverts for work you've put up from time to time. It's clear you lack the experience to be a subby climber let alone run the show. You may have been lied to by a college or trainer about how the industry works. But remember there a business too. In my opinion your not even a half decent climber until at least 2-3 yrs experience. 

When i first started as "climber" straight out of college i was terrible. Knew the principle lacked the technique and strength. I even thought about sacking it in. Who hasn't right?

Im 10 years in now working as a subby and looking for a truck to do a few jobs myself and go from there. 

My advice would be similar to the other guys. Dont give up just yet. I worked in a post office and a pub part time when i started. Cut logs and hedges for little old ladies in the village. Even biked 15-20 miles sometimes. Or even volunteered for free just for the experience.

Do you have a wife and kids? If not buy yourself a camper van and pimp yourself out wherever the work is.

If not keep trying in your area. But dont put all your eggs in 1 basket. 

Hope this helps we've all been there. 

https://arbjobs.com/job-listing/4742

Also look up teign trees and landscapes.

Bit of a trek from you but they offered me a job at the end of the summer and seemed decent enough. 

Chin up mate. 

• Like 3

I’ve met hundreds of people who tell me they used to do my job, their husband or boyfriend does/did my job! Yet I’m the 1 there doing the job!
It’s an ego and pride thing! I’ve got a camouflage jacket but if I said to my mate I used to be a marine too he would burst out laughing!

• Like 3

I can only tell you how I did it. I started on the roads being a "cone donkey", traffic management. Got into drainage through that job then worked for a utility company for ten years honing my skills, took voluntary redundancy when I couldn't bare it any more. Started on my own, I was struggling to get work, so  I rang about , (all over the country). Pulled a caravan or drove a motorhome to wherever the work was, yes it's a ball ache but there was no way I was going to loose face, and go and work for someone else again. Starting from fresh isn't easy. I'm in the process of changing some of the things I do, it's a right pain the arse for me because advertising is something I'm shit at. Give me a contact number and I will be able to get the job. I'm going to see one of those website wizards on Friday to try and push my new venture....... He's going to have his work cut out when I turn up on his doorstep!

Id recommend a certain mr bullman, he has done wonders with my website! (I’m assuming your going to him!)

2 minutes ago, john p said:

Id recommend a certain mr bullman, he has done wonders with my website! (I’m assuming your going to him!)

I was on my way over to his place this morning when I got the van sideways in a snow drift at which point I turned around and went home.

• Like 1

Just now, john p said:

Seriously pleased with what he’s done for me, on snow related news I stacked it off a sledge earlier and really hurt myself, snow has turned to concrete!

Spent all day trying to get to falling and fallen trees, on roads that are just about drivable. 

On the the plus side, we’re no longer a bit quiet.