Rigidoporus ulmarius UK host range

David Humphries

33 minutes ago, Betula said:

I see it most often on Aesculus hippocastanum, Platanus x hispanica and Tilia x europea

That's really interesting Greg, were not that far away geographically so its a little surprising that we don't see it fruit on Tilia here at Hampstead.

Perhaps the Kretz and Gano compete for wood volume with Rigi here more than where you see it on Tilia in central London?

I'll add it to the list a the beginning of the thread.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 05/03/2018 at 14:17, David Humphries said:

That's really interesting Greg, were not that far away geographically so its a little surprising that we don't see it fruit on Tilia here at Hampstead.

Perhaps the Kretz and Gano compete for wood volume with Rigi here more than where you see it on Tilia in central London?

I'll add it to the list a the beginning of the thread.

Cheers

I haven't seen it fruiting on Tilia myself in my area, but lots of Kretz on Tilia. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Funny how the subconscious mind’s recognition abilities can leave the ‘thinking you’ standing.
While driving up a town High Street this morning, the very corner of my eye registered  - in what felt like a split second - a flash of familiar yellow from the base of a short n stocky tree set back some distance from the road and discretely positioned in front of a tall hedge.

Needless to say, I span around at the earliest convenient opportunity and sure enough.....

You folks would know exotics, cultivars, crosses and the like better than I, but the host was Salix, a ‘weeping’ variety.

Hmm...wonder where I can I buy an ‘I slow down and perform U turns for fruiting bodies’ car sticker....?

E34B3B10-4429-453F-A773-13E2C1A370EB.jpeg

3E4B2747-079E-4A76-95BA-C8F6F7ECB320.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just adding host tree pics for the above R. ulmarius sighting.

Maybe Salix babylonica or a hybrid thereof?

Yellowy shoots, narrow leaves, alternate with dentate margins and tapering to a fine point ( I suspect this generic description may not be of much use in getting to species with Salix!)

Memorial flowers have since appeared around the bole, and taking a look all around the tree for the first time, I discovered further fruiting bodies including an even bigger one to the ‘rear’ (last pic).?

68D20DD6-676B-4B19-B75D-379A704B538D.jpeg

334F0228-88CE-44E3-9195-F5C74F5AEB03.jpeg

5E4E4546-E6B8-43DB-BDB5-28878B9F704B.jpeg