Delivering firewood

Chris Reeve

23 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Thats fair enough.  I bought a trailer when my LDV disintegrated.  It got me buy and there was really no where I didnt take it, but it was more difficult at times for sure.  Specially reversing up steep drives with a full load on.

You do need a decent 4x4 and a low ratio box for that for sure.     Most people no longer want wood dumped loose on a driveway.  Stacked crates are one way,   vented bags another but the return rate on the bags is not good so the cost needs to be built in.  I use an IFW trailer and crates or bags on pallets.

A

1 hour ago, Alycidon said:

You do need a decent 4x4 and a low ratio box for that for sure.     Most people no longer want wood dumped loose on a driveway.  Stacked crates are one way,   vented bags another but the return rate on the bags is not good so the cost needs to be built in.  I use an IFW trailer and crates or bags on pallets.

A

`this has been my experience also.  Its an outlay switching over to this method but more efficient long term

1 hour ago, timbernut said:

Currently using cabstar crewcab tipper with 2 cube & iW tipper with 3.5 don't have a problem reversing, but manouvreing unladen on greasy tracks can b problematical. Favourite was defender crewcab with same volume but it's in bits awaiting rebuild and reversing visibility not so good

Thats why it has mirrors !!,  mind you reversing a box trailer into a dark driveway as the garage lamp ' has just failed' is always a headache.  Try to do those in daylight,

A

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alycidon said:

Thats why it has mirrors !!,  mind you reversing a box trailer into a dark driveway as the garage lamp ' has just failed' is always a headache.  Try to do those in daylight,

A

I have a magnetic LED lamp that I stick on top of my truck and plug into the cigar lighter in the back. Makes a real difference.

A

Ha ha, yes I do use the mirrors, didn't say I couldn't it's just easier! Yep in the dark can b a nightmare, the Landy will have a lightbar when back on road and I'm puttin led lights on the trailer board

32 minutes ago, felixthelogchopper said:

I have a magnetic LED lamp that I stick on top of my truck and plug into the cigar lighter in the back. Makes a real difference.

I use the hazard lights and go slowly !,  been thinking along the LED lines but the ramp on the trailer is Ali so not magnetic.    Fitted reversing lights would mean either a 10 pin susie or two 7 pins.

A

• Like 1

Not actually related  to delivering firewood, I used to have a box trailer and fitted a 2nd 'caravan' style socket alongside. I had that running reverse lights, work lamps, LED interior lighting, and even a camera on the rear of the trailer. Made it much more pleasant to use at night!

Edited by scbk