Delivering firewood

Chris Reeve

Can’t beat a decent SWB 3,5t truck where we are. Too many tight lanes and cul-de-sacs with millions of parked cars on them!
As long as your delivery area isn’t too big it’s great. Wouldn’t want to be going too much further than 10 miles away from base on a regular basis.

Yes transit's are the way to go. So many people ask why don't we tow a trailer as well with a few cube on but some of the places we go in the south Wales valleys were made for horse and cart not a transit let alone one with a trailer on it!
Someone on here did post a really nice low caged conversion and was carrying 4 cube a while back! We only carry 3 and being able to carry the extra one would be perfect!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tim Ber said:

I use ifor Williams p6 trailer I get 1.5m3 on or I take 1m3 load in L200 double cab

That's what I use with 1,2 or 3 bulk bags on(0.7m I believe). And yes it is slightly overloaded with 3 bags on, but it handles it fine behind my Land Rover. I would far rather have a pick up for these smaller deliveries but the Land Rover and trailers are far better for all my other works and I've not been defeated by access issues yet! 

I wish I got the opportunity to deliver in the quantities that some people seem to, I can only think of  a couple of times in the last 10 years or more that I have tipped a load and 3 bags is classed as a big load! 

8 hours ago, richardwale said:

not too many places a half decent driver can't get a trailer. 

Depends where you live ;)

Did a delivery the other day where I had to climb out through the window to get to the back of the pickup! Tried a trailer here but it was a complete nightmare. Single cab with greedy boards takes a couple of cube.

Depends where you live [emoji6]

Did a delivery the other day where I had to climb out through the window to get to the back of the pickup! Tried a trailer here but it was a complete nightmare. Single cab with greedy boards takes a couple of cube.

Try climbing out through the passenger side window. Done that a few times!
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Depends where you live ;)

Ditto that..sold an old school L200 single cab a few years back to a guy from the Cotswolds who reckoned trying to deliver logs in anything much bigger on his rounds wouldn't have worked - small, tight driveways. If there is plenty of space on on a lot of client's properties, going with a small tipper or an Ifor trailer with any 4x4 works fine