Electric Cars

matelot

I have to say, love the look of the new leaf. Very tempted when our car needs replacing. Sounds like it will like driving a hydrostatic, one pedal only.

We only do 8k a year, commute for the missus is 3 miles!, plus school run, so in all 10 miles in morning, and 3 on her way home as i pick tiddly toddlies up. If we need to go further for a holiday, i would hire a car.

The government want everyone to go electric, but what if you live on a street where its free for all parking? How do you charge it up?

2 hours ago, matelot said:

I see the new Nissan Leaf has a range of 177 miles... That's defintely a large enough range for most commuters. Anyone got an electric car?

Not quite but I just handed on a honda civic hybrid with 100k miles. Perfect in every respect but the IMA battery is just about playing up, £2000 to replace. If it gets through MOT without warning lights showing my mate will just potter around in it without the electric motor assist.

Interestingly the previous lady owner only managed 39mpg yet in the short time he's had it he's getting 50mpg.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matelot said:

..I'd love one, however I stay in a flat and have nowhere to charge one :( 

There are various charge points all over the country.Try this website.

I'm a member of the ecarclub,although I haven't used it for a while.The Nissan Leaf is a lovely car to drive but I did have a problem on a longer than normal hire.

• Like 1

One of my regular customers had a new Nissan Leaf, but last time he visited me he was driving a french electric car, so I asked him about it, and he told me the range on the Leaf was in his experience very poor - less than 80 miles and so he got rid of it.  I guess manufacturer figures always need to be taken with a pinch of salt. 

I think the one to go for if you have a spare £80,000 is the Tesla.  They are meant to do 300 miles between charges....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squaredy said:

One of my regular customers had a new Nissan Leaf, but last time he visited me he was driving a french electric car, so I asked him about it, and he told me the range on the Leaf was in his experience very poor - less than 80 miles and so he got rid of it.  I guess manufacturer figures always need to be taken with a pinch of salt. 

I think the one to go for if you have a spare £80,000 is the Tesla.  They are meant to do 300 miles between charges....

Teslas financials looked a bit dodgy. From the press, it said they were in the process of asking for early payment on orders not yet delivered to keep the company in the black and out of the red!

About a year and a half ago I went to Nottingham University with a wealthy friend who was not really interested in cars.

Tesla were using the University as a base to try and sell their cars.

We were treated very well and just the two of us were given a sensible talk followed by a road test.  I was in the back seat with a video camera and my friend in the front and the salesman driving.

We went out onto a short piece of dual carriageway and I was thinking that we were going to cruise slowly to the main road, but he put his foot down and all my internal organs moved back a few inches and  I nearly disappeared with the camera into the boot!  0=60 in about three seconds but that does not demonstrate the effect of 0-30 with four wheel drive.

We were allowed to havea go and when it was my turn we went into an industrial estate where we found an empty roundabout.  He told me to see how fast I could go round.  Now the batteries are all very low down and with the four wheel drive my nerve went before the car even squeaked.

The result was my friend bought a new model S which he has had for nearly a year and a half.  He has driven it to the South of France and all over England and Scotland with no issues at all.  

The car will drive itself which is not legal here unless you have both hands hovering over the wheel.

The computer is amazing and he says it saved his bacon once when he was driving at night in fog and a deer crossed ahead and the car had already started braking before he saw the deer.

Real life range about 250 miles but bit depends on light/weather/ heating and of course hooning.

Range is better with the newer cars

Edited by Billhook
  • Like 2

I came very close to pulling the trigger on a model X this year, as they can be bought via the business and are 100% corp tax deducatable in the first year. I came to my sense and got a digger instead in the end.

I have the tesla powerwall being installed in march to fully use the solar panels.

love all this new tech its great.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Billhook said:

About a year and a half ago I went to Nottingham University with a wealthy friend who was not really interested in cars.

Tesla were using the University as a base to try and sell their cars.

We were treated very well and just the two of us were given a sensible talk followed by a road test.  I was in the back seat with a video camera and my friend in the front and the salesman driving.

We went out onto a short piece of dual carriageway and I was thinking that we were going to cruise slowly to the main road, but he put his foot down and all my internal organs moved back a few inches and  I nearly disappeared with the camera into the boot!  0=60 in about three seconds but that does not demonstrate the effect of 0-30 with four wheel drive.

We were allowed to havea go and when it was my turn we went into an industrial estate where we found an empty roundabout.  He told me to see how fast I could go round.  Now the batteries are all very low down and with the four wheel drive my nerve went before the car even squeaked.

The result was my friend bought a new model S which he has had for nearly a year and a half.  He has driven it to the South of France and all over England and Scotland with no issues at all.  

The car will drive itself which is not legal here unless you have both hands hovering over the wheel.

The computer is amazing and he says it saved his bacon once when he was driving at night in fog and a deer crossed ahead and the car had already started braking before he saw the deer.

Real life range about 250 miles but bit depends on light/weather/ heating and of course hooning.

Range is better with the newer cars

If I had the money I would certainly look at a tesla.

What's the deal with the self drive, have they sorted all that? Ie can your mate just input a destination and it will drive all the way there?