Flail vs chain swipe

I have used toppers / flails etc in the past but only on grass. Never given either any stick.

I have a few acres of thigh deep bramble to tidy up with some small ish self sets throughout and wouldn't mind something to run through the woods before felling now and then, ive got 60hp to play with

Anyone able to enlighten me on which would be better suited?

• Like 1

Flail with hammers will cope with all that you mention, up to 50mm if you go slow.  Y blades will give a better finish. Brambles, rushes and anything up to 25mm is no problem, I run a INO 1.5m flail on a 50hp Alpine and it copes admirably, just take it easy on the bigger stuff.  No experience of chain swipe.

Having used both, flail every time. 

The chain swipe bashes stuff about but doesn't ever get to the nice chewed up mulch that a flail gives you. if you cut low enough with a flail you get a nice finish not so much with the swipe you will have lots of little broken bramble stems sticking up.

Only thing going for the swipe is that they are fairly cheap. 

• Like 1

As I see it, a chain swipe's big advantage is it can tolerate hitting large stumps or forgotten logs to a better degree than anything else. If you have neither hidden stumps or chunks of log then don't need chain type. But you mention running through woods before felling, so you may want to think of the stump element. The finish left by chains is comparable to a flail that has lost a good number of hammers, with the remaining ones dulled and covered in some old fence wire it hoovered up, but- it's definitely a good enough finish for strolling among the trees felling.

Edited by Logan
  • Like 1

Have used chain swipe, flail and rotary blade mower. Chain swipe it will go through any thing with out a problem hit a butler sink with a Worlsey jungle buster years ago smashed the sink to pieces. Flail have limited reach out the back of tractor and a lot of money. 

Pictures show a field I cleared last year which was re-growth 4 years old Brambles, Goat willow, Silver birch, Blackthorn all trees were 4inch dia Machine used was a Mcconnel  Rhino 6 on a  Fendt 304 which was backed over everything . 

4-33D088A7-5841696-480.jpg

4-74F83308-819976-480.jpg

4-05021333-563851-480.jpg

• Like 1

If you get brambles wrapped around a flail it'll be a pain getting them out. I have a chain swipe and the cut is fine but as mentioned, not as good as a sharp flail. I do like the indestructible nature of it, mind

Edited by spandit

Thankyou for the info all, i had been offered a flail from a friend but on inspection it was a little big for my hp..

I had a run cross country today and picked myself up a wolsey jungle buster type cutter, were out on a job next week so I'm looking forward to seeing whats what [emoji106]