Best chain for milling

farmerjohn

5 hours ago, muttley9050 said:

If it's really 200 links. Which It doesn't look to me . You may want to try the 27rx 5 skip chain that Rob sells. But Oregon ripping chain in 404 is the usual..

hey James,
thanks for the time the other month regarding our conversation about a lucas.
so i decided to try this double headed set up out as it as way less investment and allowed me to mill the big sticks i have in as and when i get chance.
i got 2 brand new 100 drive link chains with the mill that need joining, when i have lined one of them up, it looks like its going to be around 180 links long. (im at my misses where the mill was delivered and no tools here otherwise id be into it straight away!!!!)
i was looking at the hyper skip chain, but it is stated it leaves a slightly rougher finish, i did think the 27AX Oregon Full Skip Semi Chisel re-filed to 10 degrees might be a good compromise as it look to have slightly bigger gaps between teeth so a little less sharpening than a standard Oregon ripping chain.

do you generally touch a chain up after a few cuts or change it for a sharpened one and sharpen them off site?

Thanks again, John

• 4 months later...

I wish I hadn't put that about the 27RX leaving a rougher finish as the difference compared to other chains is minimal.

That said with all that power you need not use 27RX. Soon (in 6 weeks) we will finally have 27RA again (full skip ripping).

Sharpening is so personal how it is done - the better you sharpen a chain the less it will need sharpening. Some sort of a guide every now and again will really pay off. Milling is only pleasant with a sharp chain.

If in doubt about what works best for you try a few different ripping chains - yes costs a few £ but if you invest into milling it's worth it in the long run.

I wish I hadn't put that about the 27RX leaving a rougher finish as the difference compared to other chains is minimal.

That said with all that power you need not use 27RX. Soon (in 6 weeks) we will finally have 27RA again (full skip ripping).

Sharpening is so personal how it is done - the better you sharpen a chain the less it will need sharpening. Some sort of a guide every now and again will really pay off. Milling is only pleasant with a sharp chain.

If in doubt about what works best for you try a few different ripping chains - yes costs a few £ but if you invest into milling it's worth it in the long run.

Hi Rob is the 27RA ripping chain available yet?
Cheers,
Si

Cheers,
Si

22 hours ago, wisewood said:

Cheers,
Si

Going to be around 6 weeks I think but after that we will have a regular supply Si.

It then will give us:

Oregon 27R - full comp ripping

Oregon 27RA - full skip ripping (arriving around mid August, 2018)

Oregon 27RX - hyperskip ripping

Oregon are really coming through on helping us to supply these hard to find specialty chains.

Edited by Rob D
adding links
  • Like 1

Going to be around 6 weeks I think but after that we will have a regular supply Si.

It then will give us:

Oregon are really coming through on helping us to supply these hard to find specialty chains.

ThanksRob, I’ll keep a look out then[emoji108]

On 02/07/2018 at 11:53, Rob D said:

It then will give us:

Will you have just 100ft rolls or do you plan having also 25ft?

Other question is - if I buy them just as chain links do you make them as loop? Is there some help - how can i determine how many links I need for each bar length?

Can someone tell actual difference between 27R, 27RX, 27RA and Granberg?

I am new to this. I got saw MS 880, have ordered 63cm, 90cm and have used 120cm bar that came with saw. I am mostly willing to mill 60-90cm in width hardwood like oak.

RX has less tooth, less strain on the saw, slower milling (?), not as smooth finish.

What about other chains and how to understand which one to take?

As I am not from UK, but willing to buy chain in the UK (as price is good) then shipping costs is not as low as in UK then I am willing to take 100ft roll. (I have not seen 25ft rolls).

Hope some more experienced could give me some advice.

12 hours ago, MartinsZ said:

Can someone tell actual difference between 27R, 27RX, 27RA and Granberg?

I am new to this. I got saw MS 880, have ordered 63cm, 90cm and have used 120cm bar that came with saw. I am mostly willing to mill 60-90cm in width hardwood like oak.

RX has less tooth, less strain on the saw, slower milling (?), not as smooth finish.

What about other chains and how to understand which one to take?

As I am not from UK, but willing to buy chain in the UK (as price is good) then shipping costs is not as low as in UK then I am willing to take 100ft roll. (I have not seen 25ft rolls).

Hope some more experienced could give me some advice.

With the Oregon 27RX it is only a fraction slower - however on larger cuts it will probably be slightly faster.

Is your 120cm bar the 47" Stihl Duromatic Bar? If so consider changing this as it causes a lot of heat and friction on the nose.

https://www.chainsawbars.co.uk/product/27rx100r-oregon-hyper-skip-ripping-404-063-100ft-reel-includes-joiners-and-tie-straps/

We sell the 27RX in 100ft reels and you will not find it in 25ft reels.

I did a video here on the different types of chain -

https://www.chainsawbars.co.uk/chainsawbars-videos-2/

Oregon 27RX.JPG