Best chain for milling

farmerjohn

Hi All,

I have just purchased a second hand double headed mill with a pair of 075av's. It's running  .404 chain, what's the best chain to buy, main consideration is quality of cut and the chain staying Sharp over cost, though there are around 200 links so it's a fair difference in cost from a cheaper chain to a top end one.

I am going to but an auxelery oiler.

One of the saws pretty much does not have any baffles in the exhaust, does anyone know if it's possible to get parts for these saws any more.

Regards, john

20180224_132239.jpg

Edited by farmerjohn

075 is a torque monster,
I've only ran 404 on mine, wouldn't want to put anything smaller on.
You can still get nearly all the parts from stihl.
They still make the 051 which is almost identical.
I buy 404 full chisel stihl chain on a roll, then make a loop and grind to 10degrees.
If you can find one, get a rim sprocket conversion kit for both machines.
Much cheaper to replace a rim rather than a spur sprocket.
Last thing, the 075 should have an aux oiler built in just in front of the top handle. It is a pita though.
Show us your milling results !
Good luck
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Just a heads up,,,,,, if you don't know !? Not realised...?

You got a mill with rollers,,, yep I guess you seen them. BUT.. If you don't Kleen the last cuts $havings/$hit it will roll on up onto them and your next cut, and every other cut will be less level/straight, unless if you were to keep putting/fixing a ladder bacon on the top. Which will just add more time to your day.

cheers

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

075 is a torque monster,
I've only ran 404 on mine, wouldn't want to put anything smaller on.
You can still get nearly all the parts from stihl.
They still make the 051 which is almost identical.
I buy 404 full chisel stihl chain on a roll, then make a loop and grind to 10degrees.
If you can find one, get a rim sprocket conversion kit for both machines.
Much cheaper to replace a rim rather than a spur sprocket.
Last thing, the 075 should have an aux oiler built in just in front of the top handle. It is a pita though.
Show us your milling results !
Good luck
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

im not sure what my local stihl dealer is like at cross referencing parts from one saw to another etc, but hopefully ok. I have used L and S a lot but did not see parts for 075av or the 051 on the website, just 2 older saws then the rest were all MS models.

Hopefully my local sthil guys can sort out the parts, as the saw without baffles in the exhaust is LOUD!!!! and i am assuming that even if i can get an exhaust, getting the bolts off at the manifold without snapping them might be more difficult than getting the parts.
I am hoping to get them services and sorted to have a bash next weekend as the frost has allowed me to get some big oak and spalted beach off a field that has been too wet to travel.
will post some pictures up once i have done a bit

• Like 1