Srt useage

mikedrums69

Not just.  I've found it quite useful on smaller Yew tree reductions for example where the dense crown would have forced a lot of repositioning with conventional climbing setups.  With SRT you can literally go anywhere without losing friction like you would on Ddrt

• Like 2

The issue of rescue provision not really being in place is an industry problem. Working as a subbie I had a young  'rescue climber' on one job and I thought it would be good to let him do a little climbing as we had the time and he needed to build up more experience and I could drag brash. It was a straight forward easy climb.  He simply couldn't get sorted and into the tree. Not even close. He had a rescue ticket, so ticked the box on the paperwork but incompetent. Its simply unacceptable. I have no problem helping or teaching people how to do things and develop but as I understand it rescue provision / planning is a legal requirement and something that needs to be taken more seriously by many in the industry. (Rant over) And yes I did raise the issue with him and his boss!

100% agree with you... but

The issue, as I see it (without going into training providers and the tick box culture that health and safety seems to have turned into) boils down to money.

Let’s compare two hypothetical situations and do some sums on a simple one day two men fell....

One situation is an owner operator who is happy to take the risk of not having an aerial rescuer or one with limited experience and let’s face it the only person who would be able to fish someone out of a biggish tree is another experienced climber, not just a 25 foot only second climber/groundy.

Wage bill for the day as little as £65 but probably £80

The other situation is a company sending out a team with a contract climber ideally needing two people capable of climbing.

£300

• Like 1

Sorry, maybe I was typing quickly and didn't get what I meant across. 
I agree that it needs to be a practised act and needs to be well oiled. I wouldn't recommend just showing someone something for a couple of minutes and hoping for the best. 

Do you always work with the same guys mate?

Work all over the country. Could be a new company everyday.
Only been subbing for 5 years.
Never, had an emergency procedure briefing.
It's arrive at 7ish am with go go go!

Link to a SRT rescue stolen from Instagram I that is pretty impressive ... , there are so many ways I think you can rescue SRT In different scenarios that would make it safer and easier... as a climbing system altogether I think it’s the future for Tree climbing, I’m working with guys who are slowly converting and like my self found it horrible at first as it’s a complete different experience but once you have got your head around the basics the fluidity starts to return with a bit of practice.
Problem is you can’t practice in a work scenario so most try it and go back to what they know, personally for me loosing a bit of the fluidity until I got to grips was a very good move for saving my body and productivity in the long run , I’m getting older so have more experience but a career time of pulling your body around on a double rope does nothing but damage it from my experience.

50 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Try a RADS set up. Much like Ddrt for positioning but SRT, and very safe. If you move on from that you can still use the descender for base tie emergency belay etc. All you need is a CT quickroll hand ascender and a cammed descender Rig, ID, Sparrow etc. And 11mm line. 

thanks , been there done it.

Buying suggestions for srt set up please including rope. Any help is much appreciated.  

If you already climb double rope with a pulley, just add a rope wrench with a stiff tether to that setup. You’ll need a foot ascender too. It’s not black magic.