Srt useage

mikedrums69

11 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

Generally I find the less bounce the better.

i have accumulated quite a few ropes over the years.  I still have a few lengths of tachyon for the really sappy pine and fir trees out here.

i have a few 60m ropes.  Htp Sterling, pretty much like climbing wire.  Cougar orange and the most recent is Samson Voyager.

it is handy having a few of the same length out in Norway.  Sometimes the weather is so terrible your kit is frozen solid from the previous climb.

i had to use nearly half my flask of premium PG tips the other day just to be able to open my binas.  Obviously a bad move as they froze solid again about 5 minutes later.

Must be challenging in those types of conditions Rich?! Do you notice a performance difference in your saws?

Indeed after much thought an possibly a bottle of red ;) I indeed shelled out fr Rock Exotica , Wes . £220 plus post - I have never liked the Zig zag ( too many recalls ! ) and mid line attachment looks good to me . Will trial it on Teufelberg n New England ( Petzel foot and hand ascender I use ) when we get a sunny day ;) K

3 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Indeed after much thought an possibly a bottle of red ;) I indeed shelled out fr Rock Exotica , Wes . £220 plus post - I have never liked the Zig zag ( too many recalls ! ) and mid line attachment looks good to me . Will trial it on Teufelberg n New England ( Petzel foot and hand ascender I use ) when we get a sunny day ;) K

Nice! Let us know how you get on. 

15 hours ago, mikedrums69 said:

I’m interested to know what you guys are using srt for and whether you have separate climbing ropes or just one rope for both ddrt and srt?

One climbing rope for both.  I use a wrench and valdotain.  Im rubbish with a throwline and usually end up climbing the tree and advancing with Ddrt and a lanyard

1 hour ago, WesD said:

Must be challenging in those types of conditions Rich?! Do you notice a performance difference in your saws?

Most of my saws are spud ported.  I used to use them in Benzine and mix as do most in the uk.

most people used aspen or ready mix here.  After a couple of weeks my saws started acting up.  New carb kit and replaced the fuel hoses etc and they are as good as they were.

they seem to run well, but thinking about it, I haven't set anything to cold on them.  The main problem for me is as I explained earlier.  I melted the bina on my flip line, spiked a silver Birch tree and tried to do a changeover and my climbing line was frozen.  In the end I overcame that issue and when done, I spoke down and the. Couldnt get off the tree as the flip line had refrozen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

So are you guys also freelance climbers? 

I find carrying two bags of kit with multiple ropes in a pain in the arse. But as one or two of you said. I don’t like the bounce. Plus I like the option of having a second line installed in the other half of the tree or as an rescue line.