MOT changes May 2018

eggsarascal

6 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Also If a vehicle passes an MOT  yesterday and you give your mate back his wheels and tires and put your old worn out ones back on it besoms instantly not road worthy ....Been there in my youth !  Do you remember the old paper MOT ? you could erase the date with a little brake fluid and write in a new one  . My mate did that for 3 years running for his old Dolly Sprint . 

Now that deserves a picture, in British Racing/Brooklands Green.

Nice car, totally outclassed by a Golf GTI, not alone in that however.

369D3964-12D8-4039-9519-8D627621EB8C.jpeg

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

I cant see this new mot being a problem for those that run through their vehicles before the test, its more in line with the way trucks are tested . I think the days of running down to a test station and just fixing what it fails on are over.

Bob

8 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Now that deserves a picture, in British Racing/Brooklands Green.

Nice car, totally outclassed by a Golf GTI, not alone in that however.

369D3964-12D8-4039-9519-8D627621EB8C.jpeg

Is that yours Mick ? . My old mate put his in a ditch . fecked it really .

Edited by Stubby

1 minute ago, Stubby said:

Is that yours Mick ? . My old mate put his in a ditch . fecked it really .

God no, I wanted one in the old days, along with a 3 litre Capri and Opel Manta like this.. I had a job on the mid eighties for a Vauxhall garage delivering cars like the Manta. 

Compared to the Astra and Cavalier SRI they were dated but still fun.

I eventually got the sack of course, kept crashing them! 

25267461-858B-409A-A266-D360AB36A8E0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I never could understand the "run her down, and let them give one a list" especially if unwashed.

Why on earth not take reasonable care to ensure all is good before submitting the vehicle.

Even if only relatively superficially, a brake test on an empty dry road, a good look around, lights working, relatively decent tyres and jack up and wriggle each wheel in turn, and spotlessly clean underneath.

Worn suspension components are all too obvious from daily driving noises knocks and clunks.

imho.

mth

P.S.

As a non-mechanic, I have never had a vehicle I prepared fail a test, though a few should have failed(our ruthless Government run centres too mind!), but on 3 occassions I was given passes that should have been fails.

I do not know the testers either I should add.

Edited by difflock

28 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Before I go into detail tell me how you would do it.

I havent done mine yet (front) on my mk6 transit - but have seen the youtube bodgers like htb said above - whacking the bearings onto the hubs with a sledge. I have seen you can make up a puller to get the old bearing off the hub using another old bearing with hole positions. For the innner race it seems to be a die grinder or similar. I have been considering investing in a plasma cutter with guaging function - possibly work for cutting bearings  off.

So?