MOT changes May 2018

eggsarascal

Just now, Gary Prentice said:

I was told that a set for my L200 was around that. 

£40 a set off of the internet and less than an hrs work. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask

Just out of interest do you know how much a garage charge per hour? I don't mean main dealers.

Just now, eggsarascal said:

Just out of interest do you know how much a garage charge per hour? I don't mean main dealers.

A fair idea, as we’ve two small garages, a MOT Centre and an auto electrician in the estate at work. Those  garages wouldn’t charge anywhere near that (and I’d only be paying trade price on parts with them). Whenever they do stuff for me, I also add a decent wedge on top for a drink. 

Mates is mates, but they’ve still got to earn a living.

I should have have been clearer, the lad I bought the car off asked if I’d done the glow plugs recently and said that was cost when he owned the motor, at the main dealers.

3 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

A fair idea, as we’ve two small garages, a MOT Centre and an auto electrician in the estate at work. Those  garages wouldn’t charge anywhere near that (and I’d only be paying trade price on parts with them). Whenever they do stuff for me, I also add a decent wedge on top for a drink. 

Mates is mates, but they’ve still got to earn a living.

I should have have been clearer, the lad I bought the car off asked if I’d done the glow plugs recently and said that was cost when he owned the motor, at the main dealers.

Wrong end of the stick, Mr Prentice.

I was wondering what a local garage charges per hour, not your situation.

I'd guess it would be £50-60/hour?

1 minute ago, Gary Prentice said:

I think ours are around £60-70, maybe a bit more, and I don’t think that’s over the top. 

Agreed, I don't think it's over the top either.

What it shows is, even if my brakes could have been done in half the time, (which I very much doubt) a garage would have charged around £450 including parts.

My brakes cost £250. £150 parts, £100 to a mate for helping me.

I know which way I'd rather go.

50 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

Cheers for sharing that though eggs always good to know of legal changes

It was only by chance that I saw it.

Lots on here run older vans/trucks. I can see peoples plans becoming unstuck if they are not aware of the change.

Again, if Im reading it correctly, Jon (Grey gits') motor would have had to be repaired at the garage or trailerd back home, or to his chosen repair shop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While we are on about MOT's can anyone confirm, or rubbish this:

I thought if you take a vehicle for a MOT and it fails with a month left until the new MOT is due the vehicle is still legal due to the old MOT still being in place.

I've been told today that if you take a vehicle in that still as an MOT  and it fails the remainder of the old mot is cancelled.

Is this correct?