MOT changes May 2018

eggsarascal

5 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Richie is correct in what he says , its always been illegal to drive a vehicle in a dangerous condition irrespective of its MOT status. The confusion seems to revolve around a vehicle that fails an mot and one that is dangerous. The general criteria for an MOT pass is to assess whether a vehicle will remain roadworthy with normal use for a twelve month period from the day of the test, certain items on a fail like a weep on a shock absorber or low brake pads may at the time be a fail but may not necessarily be deemed  dangerous. If the same vehicle were to end up on its roof on its way back from a test where it failed and accident investigation officers were involved  they may well claim the vehicle is dangerous. Only and example but its all about covering ones arse when things go tits up. I think in the light of the changes and the way dvla advertise a vehicles MOT history online it makes sense to have a pre MOT/work done prior to the test.

Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I looked in to buying a non moted van the other day about 200 miles away , I could find nothing in the law that says as long as your driving the vehicle to a pre booked mot it being on the road would be illegal , there was nothing at all on distance ... apparently if you stop and buy some tabs or shopping you could be charged so the thought of driving it from bath to the north tyne for a pre booked mot seemed a bit daunting but would of been cheaper than recovery.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2018 at 13:54, eggsarascal said:

This is the point. You can at the moment drive it home or to a repair shop of your choice. The change will mean it doesn't leave the test centre until it's repaired or it goes on a trailer.

Wow  ...thats  a massive incentive to fail vehicles  .  Some Garages will exploit this . Then on the other hand  can you imagine a small  mot garage having to find a place to store vehicles . What happens if you take your car to a Mot only center    and it fails ........   Trailer it  away   .... 

I, back when the Govt run MOT centres over here were hot on failing vehicles for surface rust/pitting on brake pipes(the quality of which has improved immensely btw.), on the strength of an arbitrary visual inspection.

Having passed the rolling road brake test.

because "they might fail".

But their MOT Certificate stated their was no guarantee the vehicle could not become unroadworthy minutes, days or hours later.

Which I thought was having their cake and eating it.

If the brake pipes passed,(pressure testing under use) they passed surely.

But they happily allowed one to drive away in the failed vehicle.

Which always puzzled me.

My single fail was when I allowed a reputable garage to prep my car(v busy at work) and the "mechanic", presumably an apprentice/trainee, failed to inspect/check/clean/tweek the rear brakes, which failed on parking brake efficiency.

The lack of diligence/attention was all too clear when I took the car home and investigated and fixed myself.

I was fornicating livid.

mth

Edited by difflock

I spoke to the examiner next door today as to what will be deemed minor and major faults: his comment was that they'll be what Vosa tells them they are, probably, but the test centres will be the last to know.

The purpose of these changes? To off-road any vehicle that isn't electric or more than two years old!  I think I might of caught on a bad day :lol::lol:

1 minute ago, Gary Prentice said:

I spoke to the examiner next door today as to what will be deemed minor and major faults: his comment was that they'll be what Vosa tells them they are, probably, but the test centres will be the last to know.

The purpose of these changes? To off-road any vehicle that isn't electric or more than two years old!  I think I might of caught on a bad day :lol::lol:

The DVSA have a forum running following consultations with MOT testers/test centres.

It's a shambles. Not to worry, if your motor fails just scrap it and get a new one.

These changes are due in a few weeks and the test centres are still waiting for updates on what should be a minor/major, or dangerous faults.

One part of the new test is the DPF. If it's been tampered with it should fail. The problem with this is the only way to clean/service the DPF is to cut it open then weld it back together, (nothing wrong in doing this), how will the tester know if the innards have been stripped out?

20 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

I did read more than the first line.

Explain this to me if what you say is correct.

IMG_1202.JPG

Not sure where the reply I made yesterday went.

Explain what?

The car failed its mot with a dangerous fault & you drove it home illegally.

Just the same as will happen under the new method.