MOT changes May 2018

eggsarascal

9 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Are you suggesting that everyone crawls under their vehicle or as a pre-MOT before they take their vehicle for a test?

Yes- because how on earth are you going to check everything before the MOT ? I do it - its called duty of care or looking before you get yr ass bitten ! K

3 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Yes- because how on earth are you going to check everything before the MOT ? I do it - its called duty of care or looking before you get yr ass bitten ! K

No-because I know my 86 year old neighbour,(E before I) doesn,t get under her vehicle or get a pre-mot before the MOT.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, oldwoodcutter said:

I get my truck and cars serviced,repaired and mot’d on the same day so everything’s hunky dory.

I think people are missing the point here, OWC, (be nice to know your first name, by the way). Many of us do our own spannering, we don't want to get all these jobs done in a garage. Like I said earlier my van failed on a corroded sill, too close to suspension mount, or summit. I got this sorted to a good standard at a good rate. I like to have the choice whether I use my own mechanic, or use the test centre........ And most of all I like the fact that at the moment, if my vehicle does fail it's MOT I can drive it back to where I want to get it repaired.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tree-fancier123 said:

I havent done mine yet (front) on my mk6 transit - but have seen the youtube bodgers like htb said above - whacking the bearings onto the hubs with a sledge. I have seen you can make up a puller to get the old bearing off the hub using another old bearing with hole positions. For the innner race it seems to be a die grinder or similar. I have been considering investing in a plasma cutter with guaging function - possibly work for cutting bearings  off.

So?

It's been a few years, but you can change the front discs on a mk6 transit without touching the bearings.

• Thanks 1

There is no legal change.

Its now just clearer that you should not drive a dangerous vehicle.

The garage have no right to stop you removing your car however you like.

Some might claim they can.

It has always been that it would be illegal to drive a dangerous vehicle home.

Yes you could drive it home but thats an MOT exemption not a get out of jail free card for driving a dangerous vehicle.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Justme said:

There is no legal change.

Its now just clearer that you should not drive a dangerous vehicle.

The garage have no right to stop you removing your car however you like.

Some might claim they can.

It has always been that it would be illegal to drive a dangerous vehicle home.

Yes you could drive it home but thats an MOT exemption not a get out of jail free card for driving a dangerous vehicle.

It's as clear as mud! Have a look on the .gov forum. Mot tester are up in the air because some ofthe changes don't make sense. Take brake pads for example: 1.5mm fail, 1.6mm pass, brake pad light on fail. Most modern cars the brake light comes on when they are down to 5mm. How's that work?

Engine management light on fail. How many motors are about with no dangerous parts that have the engine management light on?