MOT changes May 2018

eggsarascal

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

While we are on about MOT's can anyone confirm, or rubbish this:

I thought if you take a vehicle for a MOT and it fails with a month left until the new MOT is due the vehicle is still legal due to the old MOT still being in place.

I've been told today that if you take a vehicle in that still as an MOT  and it fails the remainder of the old mot is cancelled.

Is this correct?

Logic says that the MOT is a certificate of roadworthiness, at the time of testing, so I if it fails it isn’t fit for the road. 

.Just as a matter of interest ( or not ) RE the rear seat belt failure for passengers . ....Our horse lorry  had no seat belts at all because they weren't Fitted as standard ( or even invented perhaps )  . It always passed its plating ( MOT )  So that makes it a nonsense I would say . 

It was only by chance that I saw it.

Lots on here run older vans/trucks. I can see peoples plans becoming unstuck if they are not aware of the change.

Again, if Im reading it correctly, Jon (Grey gits') motor would have had to be repaired at the garage or trailerd back home, or to his chosen repair shop.
Can't trailer it as too heavy for most trailers big enough to carry it so its wagon transport.

5 minutes ago, billpierce said:

Sounds irritating. I sometimes ask my garage for a pre mot so they basically mot check it let me know what needs sorting I get it sorted then mot it and it def passes. Pretty easy solution is say.

so can a pre mot if you wish be a whole mot but 'off the record' ? if so it seems the self repairers have a kind of loophole costing an extra £60 max

While we are on about MOT's can anyone confirm, or rubbish this:

I thought if you take a vehicle for a MOT and it fails with a month left until the new MOT is due the vehicle is still legal due to the old MOT still being in place.

I've been told today that if you take a vehicle in that still as an MOT  and it fails the remainder of the old mot is cancelled.

Is this correct?

My understanding is that once the vehicle has failed a test, under the current arrangements, you are only allowed to

(a) drive it home,
(b) drive it to a garage for the necessary work to be done (and the vehicle has to have an appointment made for this, you can't just claim to be on the way to the garage when the rozzers stop you), or
© drive it to a testing station after the repairs have been done.

BTW, I used to think the same - i.e. that the old certificate remained valid, it was only when I got told otherwise that the logic of it shone through; if the vehicle fails an MOT today then test that it passed 11 months ago isn't really relevant.

Also If a vehicle passes an MOT  yesterday and you give your mate back his wheels and tires and put your old worn out ones back on it besoms instantly not road worthy ....Been there in my youth !  Do you remember the old paper MOT ? you could erase the date with a little brake fluid and write in a new one  . My mate did that for 3 years running for his old Dolly Sprint . 

• Haha 1