MOT changes May 2018

eggsarascal

18 minutes ago, djbobbins said:

It'd be harsh IMO to class that undriveable unless you'd taken rear seat passengers with you to the testing station.

For what it's worth as I've got older I have also adopted the "get it fixed at the place that does the testing" approach - however this is on the back of confidence that whilst the garage isn't cheap, I trust them not to take the proverbial.

Yeah I take it to my local who have a test centre on site. I trust them and have used them for years so it's not a hassle. I wouldn't consider taking it anywhere that don't do repairs and test in the same establishment and never have. It's a total non issue for me. 

1 minute ago, forestboy1978 said:

Yeah I take it to my local who have a test centre on site. I trust them and have used them for years so it's not a hassle. I wouldn't consider taking it anywhere that don't do repairs and test in the same establishment and never have. It's a total non issue for me. 

It might be a non issue for you, but I get my welding done by a friend who is a coded welder for little more than beer money. Any other repairs I do myself.

2 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Let me get this right, you think the legislation is half sensible, but you don't know how it will work in theory.

I just think the average garage/ MOT test centre is half sensible in applying the existing rules. I'd imagine any new rules will be applied sensibly as well.

Anyway, say you need your vehicle picked up in a trailer and moved elsewhere. What's it going to cost? £100? Couple of hundred quid? It's hardly the end of the world. Or do you get your vehicles MOT'ed on the opposite end of the country?

I think people are getting worked up about very very little.

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

It might be a non issue for you, but I get my welding done by a friend who is a coded welder for little more than beer money. Any other repairs I do myself.

Fair enough! I don't know much about mechanics so I stick to what I do know. Besides, modern vehicles need computers for diagnosis or certainly tools I just don't have. If I ran a defender I might think differently. 

16 minutes ago, matelot said:

I just think the average garage/ MOT test centre is half sensible in applying the existing rules. I'd imagine any new rules will be applied sensibly as well.

Anyway, say you need your vehicle picked up in a trailer and moved elsewhere. What's it going to cost? £100? Couple of hundred quid? It's hardly the end of the world. Or do you get your vehicles MOT'ed on the opposite end of the country?

I think people are getting worked up about very very little.

I guess it depends on how much money you have to throw away.

I did the brakes on my van the other week, total cost for discs/pads, bearings, shoes and cylinders £150 and a day on the drive doing them. How much would that have cost in a garage?

I recently got told that my non starting kangoo was due to a glow plug fault by a renault main dealer, despite the fact that I know that that particular engine has no real need for glow plugs in our temperate climate....

They kindly offered to change the plugs for me................ for 300euro! 

Theres certainly not alot of common sense or logic in my experience.

Probably less than what you could have earn't in a day minus the cost of parts. Garage would do all that in half a day and if you know them  you'll get parts for not much more than you paid. Of course if you've only got 1 vehicle then it's a problem but if you have another vehicle available you're better off working IMHO. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, forestboy1978 said:

Probably less than what you could have earn't in a day minus the cost of parts. Garage would do all that in half a day and if you know them  you'll get parts for not much more than you paid. Of course if you've only got 1 vehicle then it's a problem but if you have another vehicle available you're better off working IMHO. 

What makes you think a garage can do it in half the time?

I did my brakes with a mate who used to be a MOT tester and is now a mobile mechanic. That took a day. You are talking rubbish.

2 minutes ago, forestboy1978 said:

Are you trying to tell me that you can work at the same speed as a custom outfitted garage with compressed tools to hand and plenty of space and a hydraulic ramp?

BS

Yes. A mobile mechanic has all the tools to do the job in hand.