MOT changes May 2018

eggsarascal

Take my landy as an example
Last mot it failed as the seat belt mounts on the rear seats were badly rusted and needed to be replaced and welded in. This ment lifting off the rear body, chopping out a crossmember and welding in a new one.
Garage wanted nearly a grand to do this so I drove it back to the yard and did it in less than a day myself costing little more than my time but now if the tester deemed this a major safety issue then I'd have either had to pay a lot for them to do it or arrange a large recovery truck to transport it back for me to do the work and then again to take it back even though it had no affect on me driving the vehicle safely.

1 minute ago, Gray git said:

Last mot it failed as the seat belt mounts on the rear seats were badly rusted and needed to be replaced and welded in. This ment lifting off the rear body, chopping out a crossmember and welding in a new one.
Garage wanted nearly a grand to do this so I drove it back to the yard and did it in less than a day myself costing little more than my time but now if the tester deemed this a major safety issue then I'd have either had to pay a lot for them to do it or arrange a large recovery truck to transport it back for me to do the work and then again to take it back even though it had no affect on me driving the vehicle safely.

Same. My van failed last year on a corroded inner sill. Back on the road for not a lot of money. I dread to think what it would have cost to get the work done at a garage.

It'd be harsh IMO to class that undriveable unless you'd taken rear seat passengers with you to the testing station.

For what it's worth as I've got older I have also adopted the "get it fixed at the place that does the testing" approach - however this is on the back of confidence that whilst the garage isn't cheap, I trust them not to take the proverbial.

8 minutes ago, matelot said:

Tbh, I don't really want people driving their vehicles on the roads if they aren't safe....

It seems half sensible legislation to me...

Yes. But a corroded inner sill isn't really dangerous. Would I be able to take the vehicle away to get it repaired without needing a trailer?

Why am I not surprised to see Kwik Fit quoted in the article? Having been in their waiting room and heard how people being cajoled into getting work done, I reckon they must be thinking Christmas has come early... That 'light misting of oil on NSR shock absorber' which would have been an advisory in the current regime is surely at risk of being subjective when the oil starts to collect into something that might drip? And of course, that'll be both shocks that need replacing, according to their recommendation.

2 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Yes. But a corroded inner sill isn't really dangerous. Would I be able to take the vehicle away to get it repaired without needing a trailer?

Time will tell...

My impression of garages is that they are normally half sensible. I can't see them being too draconian with the rules...

2 minutes ago, matelot said:

Time will tell...

My impression of garages is that they are normally half sensible. I can't see them being too draconian with the rules...

Let me get this right, you think the legislation is half sensible, but you don't know how it will work in theory.