First saw you bought.

Mick Dempsey

1983 husky 61 grey top   about 20 years ago, it felt like a beast in firewood  and was a tad rough cosmetcally and pine rosin all over so took it apart cleaned it up and found the ring land was a tad wide so the ring was floating a bit on exhaust side  so took it to the local husky dealer and asked for a 61 piston and he looked at it and said thats a 266 xp piston  as it was  50mm windowed piston  61 was 48mm , but luckily had the cyl in the car and showed him it and said yip thats a OEM 266 xp top end so got the OEM piston and ring , little scuff up crosshatch with scothbrite on a drill , back together and is a beast still :-)

Edited by huskywilson

Stihl 170 as a Christmas present when I was 16!! Did tons of work, 15 years on it's been used as a donor saw, so most of it is still going. 

I then bought myself a Stihl 390 which was basically a bit pants but has always been reliable. After having it 8 years I drilled out the exhaust and switched it to aspen- totally transformed it. It's now basically an ornament/ back up to the back up back up! as I have much better saws of similar weight.

• Like 1

1989 ish. I signed up one summer as a wildland firefighter(well, it starts in spring, but ya work the summer). I started out mostly shoveling dirt on to dirt that was smouldering. I eventually moved up to cutting shit down that was on fire. We weren't spoiled for choices as much back then. No 044's or 046's. So I found a 268xp on sale. It still resides in an ex-wildland firefighter friend's garage back in California. Here's a pic I took back in 2011 whilst visiting and reminiscing.

140491834.n5jV6hdL.jpg

• Like 2