New Laser scanning technology can help 'weigh' trees

Gary Prentice

surely this method can only get the volume of the tree fairly accurate???

the weight of the wood will be variable due to species, timber density along with moisture content and probably the time of year too along with the fact that different parts of the tree will be different densities to start with and given the volume of some trees could end up being way off.

• Like 1

I've only read the article! :D

Where it's use may provide valuable data could be in calculating carbon sequestration, particularly for use in things like iTree (Hollowness aside), which can then go on to illustrate the financial 'value' of the canopy cover.

Alternatively , we could fell the tree, measure it and weigh it to keep the pedants happy:lol:, but I suppose that'll mean the loss of the benefits provided by the living tree:$

11 hours ago, se7enthdevil said:

surely this method can only get the volume of the tree fairly accurate???

the weight of the wood will be variable due to species, timber density along with moisture content and probably the time of year too along with the fact that different parts of the tree will be different densities to start with and given the volume of some trees could end up being way off.

wouldn't all that be a given? 

Its sounds impressive, previous posts highlight the potential limitations. Regarding species, this depends on some additional "boots on the ground" assessments of the survey area. Hollow trees? probably not is the answer as its difficult to say when your standing in front of it let alone with lasers! 

Years ago I used to joke with one of my brothers that you can literally do anything with lasers and everything should have a laser. It appears, that from measuring gravity from space, trees, Lidar to name a few, my joking is now with some foundation.

On 2/23/2018 at 16:08, Gary Prentice said:

Interesting article, particularly the bit about one particular sycamore being measured as having almost seven miles of branches!  

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/tech-news/researchers-new-laser-scanning-tech-weigh-trees-ucl-11364250833803

people will believe absolutely anything..

How does a laser get through leaves to begin with?..  must do it in winter when theres no leaves blocking the view.. oh, but then again the other branches in the way.. is it on a drone?..

I've an idea, guesstimate the volume as best can be scientifically ascertained and you'll do better than spending 150 grand on some stupid gizmo dreamed up by some bozo wanna be science student...

People, most scientific literature is bollocks on a stick...  just because its in a science rag don't mean shit..