Japa 370 processor premature bar wear

AndyChalmers

Yes I know how it works used to have one . What I mean is once the timber has hit the stop is there tension in the feed belt so as you cut the timber is getting pushed forward ever so slightly from the tension in the belt . 

On the palax the stop retracts once the blade starts to come down meaning any tension in the belt disappears 

On 17/09/2018 at 06:47, oldoaktree said:

Yes I know how it works used to have one . What I mean is once the timber has hit the stop is there tension in the feed belt so as you cut the timber is getting pushed forward ever so slightly from the tension in the belt . 

On the palax the stop retracts once the blade starts to come down meaning any tension in the belt disappears 

Ahhh I get you, im not sure.  I am cutting longer & heavier lengths than I used to so its possible the extra weight is making the difference.  I'll check it out.  Thanks for the pointer   

• 1 year later...

Just seen this thread. 

Sorry for the late comment but I have had the exact same issue with my Japa 300. 

It turns out that it is down to the prolite bar. Its just not made for the rigours of a processor. 

I switched to control cut (versa cut on the 370) and a massive improvement. 

Hope this helps 

• Like 1

On 07/10/2019 at 21:18, Ger B said:

Just seen this thread. 

Sorry for the late comment but I have had the exact same issue with my Japa 300. 

It turns out that it is down to the prolite bar. Its just not made for the rigours of a processor. 

I switched to control cut (versa cut on the 370) and a massive improvement. 

Hope this helps 

Thank you for your advise, I never got to the bottom of this.  Been using my spare processor as 370 did my head in.  So basically yours was cutting diagonal and wearing the bar out fast?  So the Oregon Control Cut bar & chain helped? or just the bar?  Any details greatly appreciated.

• 1 year later...

Following helpful advice from Peter at Fuelwood this morning.

having investigated all the obvious worn chain worn / bent bar we replaced with new. Away the machine went as good as new for about 2 hours then suddenly back to getting stuck half way through a log and cutting bananas. Sharpening the chain never helped but turning the bar over to the unused side sorted the problem. 

but 

the reason bars are wearing out so fast is in the past someone may have used excessive force to cut logs with a blunt chain and this can bend the bracket that holds the hydraulic sprocket motor . This puts the saw bar out of line with the bed and causes fast wear on one side of the bar. 

I will I’ll check and investigate this morning and up date . I thought I would post while things are fresh in my mind 

• Like 2

On 23/02/2018 at 12:41, AndyChalmers said:

interesting, its deffo a oregan bar & oregan chain and just phoned my supplier up and they only supply full chissel chains.

Would you guys reccomend a semi chissel over a full on a processor? & why?

Easier to sharpen usually, doesnt take much to dull a full chisel even though its first choice fr me fr a lot of cross cutting. K