First saw and equipment

MartinConnor

Hi,

I am leaving the military and have decided to pursue a career as an arborist, I start my courses in the couple of weeks and Im at the point where I need to start buying a saw and all my PPE. There looks to be a lot of kit and equipment out there ranging from dirt cheap to mega expensive.

Any advice on best saws, boots, trousers etc which are best for value etc would be greatly appreciated.  

Edited by MartinConnor

For saws look at the 3 main brands stihl husky and echo.Dont be tempted by any of the chinese shite thats out there just now.

As for ppe well thats a very personal choice.Some will recommend a certain brand or type and others will slate em.

From personal experience ive had good and bad trousers  from stihl,husky and breathflex.Only trousers id recommend that i really couldnt fault are pfanner gladiators.Very expensive but the only trousers ive had that have lasted a couple of years.Look at getting a pair as an investment.

Boots are the same and are dependant on whether your doin ground work or climbing.2 types id say were my favourites-ground work meindl woodwalkers or hiax forestry.

Climbing-andrews cervino woods.

If your climbing then you want an all round boot and my andrews have been faultless so far.Rugged,chunky,lots of support,maybe a wee bit on the heavy side but i love em and are decent in spikes aswell.As for helmets ive yet to find one that fits my weird shaped head but most folks go for the petzl vertex vent and its a pretty decent helmet but there are lots of others out there.

Im currently wearing a kask but that will get sacked when the summer comes in for my vertex which is a cooler lid to wear.

Prepared to be confused as some other will recommend there personal favourites.

Good luck mate

• Like 1

Hi,

I am leaving the military and have decided to pursue a career as an arborist, I start my courses in the couple of weeks and Im at the point where I need to start buying a saw and all my PPE. There looks to be a lot of kit and equipment out there ranging from dirt cheap to mega expensive.

Any advice on best saws, boots, trousers etc which are best for value etc would be greatly appreciated.  

All the best for your new career.
Find a respected dealer and spend few hours there trying fews out.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Vespasian said:

Hang on, don't you think the advice aught be try it out first..  a day or week doin the job before he decides its for him..

Can't see the sense of paying out good money only to find its not exactly what you expected it to be...

He  starts his coarse in a couple of weeks . He is at the point of needing to by a saw ...................

• Like 1

If you're doing the ELCAS course check if the trainer provides kit. TKF did for mine, still took my own boots (habit and fit) and gloves (ensure correct size) but got to try out both Stihland Husky, trousers and helmet were fine and stops you having an off with personal kit. Instructors also happy to show you their personal kit and discuss pros and cons. 

All the best for the course.

• Like 1