Posch S - 360 Blade sharpening

arboriculturist

After processing 500m3 of hard / softwood the blade is seriously dull. There never ever seems to be chips out of blades, TCT cutters just loose there originally razor sharp edge and corners.

We have 3 blades so can easily rotate usage.

I am thinking it should be changed after 400m3.

I am interested to hear what others with TCT blade processors find and what they get charged for sharpening.

Edited by arboriculturist

I send mine in after about 150 ton for sharpening. I'm running an old Palax rocking table processor so I think I feel it sooner when it starts to loose its edge.

im running eddesso blades as there about half the price of Swedex but maybe not quite as long lasting.

as for sharpening costs, it depends how many teeth need replacing. Can be anything from 20 quid for a quick sharpen to 85 for a dozen teeth glued on

5 hours ago, andy cobb said:

I send mine in after about 150 ton for sharpening. I'm running an old Palax rocking table processor so I think I feel it sooner when it starts to loose its edge.

im running eddesso blades as there about half the price of Swedex but maybe not quite as long lasting.

as for sharpening costs, it depends how many teeth need replacing. Can be anything from 20 quid for a quick sharpen to 85 for a dozen teeth glued on

Never lost a tooth - too carefull for that, but there are 96 teeth / 900mm blade.

That seems par for the course here also.
Have you thought about upgrading to a S - 360 Turbo, you've had the 350 for a time now?
Yes we have looked at the 375 and will probably go with that at the end of the summer. The 350 has just worked so well we haven't really needed to change it but with doing more and more kindling, being able to take the knife out to do rounds would be a big plus.
I did look at the new palax c1000 as well but Ive always liked the poach stuff

• 2 weeks later...

I find if your machine blade is driven on the cutting stroke hydraulically then you can run the blade for an extended time however this is bad as the blade is under huge stress which the operator is unaware of it can lead to cracks and ultimately will scrap the blade, as people have said get it sharpened pretty regularly and it will be happier, i do mine every 200 ton but could prob run it much longer, cost about £40 inc collector and del, ernest bennet saw blades, they cover the country, great service

I find if your machine blade is driven on the cutting stroke hydraulically then you can run the blade for an extended time however this is bad as the blade is under huge stress which the operator is unaware of it can lead to cracks and ultimately will scrap the blade, as people have said get it sharpened pretty regularly and it will be happier, i do mine every 200 ton but could prob run it much longer, cost about £40 inc collector and del, ernest bennet saw blades, they cover the country, great service

Bennett’s are literally 5 minutes from our yard at Teesside Airport, they sharpen our chipper irons and dads woodworking sawblades. Always done a good job of sharpening! They’re expensive to buy new blades from though!