Quotations!

forestboy1978

Hi guys, 

Just wondering what your views are on people negotiating the price of quotes?

I basically just don't need the work cos I stay under the VAT threshold each year so can only turn over 85k per year. Due to fencing materials this is easily breached so I tend to do about 40 weeks per year roughly to achieve this. I take on guys as and when I need them, basically as little as possible and turn down all work outside of 4 miles away or that I don't like the look of or don't get a good feel for the customer. Obviously my position is quite fortunate also in that I get enough work to work 7 days per week all year if that was possible. 

I get a lot of customers saying things like.. "I liked your approach but I was quoted x amount. Will you consider knocking £200 of the price"

Frankly this offends me cos we're often talking about knocking 200 off a 1500 job which is a huge cut in profit  when the expenses are say 750 and I know my industry pretty much inside out so I know the absolute cheapest a job can be done for soooo. To me this translates as.... "I know you're almost guaranteed to do a stellar job cos you have excellent reviews and portfolio and installation guarantee etc etc but Billy Bob who isn't paying tax or is throwing the waste in the forest is £250 cheaper and I pretty much know his game so I want you but I don't want to pay for you"

Anyway.....rant over, what are your thoughts?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Whats the issue with going over the threshold?  

I'm guessing the faff of having to comply with the regs.  Isn't admin the most boring part of the job?

@forestboy1978 I wouldn't be offended, just say no.  You might know the ins and outs of your business, but the customer wont.  No need to explain it to them either - you'll probably still get the job and at the price you quoted for.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, onetruth said:

I'm guessing the faff of having to comply with the regs.  Isn't admin the most boring part of the job?

@forestboy1978 I wouldn't be offended, just say no.  You might know the ins and outs of your business, but the customer wont.  No need to explain it to them either - you'll probably still get the job and at the price you quoted for.

Yeah I do say no. I did also still get a job last week. 3rd negotiation in a row though and I just can't be bothered with the email time.

40 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Yep what he said.

Whats the issue with going over the threshold?  

Cut in profits and 95% of my work is domestic customers who don't get the VAT back. Margins are pretty tight. I win 90% of quotes in summer and 70% in winter. That dropped to about 60% when I was VAT registered and I earnt a lot less, especially if a job went behind schedule. 

26 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

“It offends me”

really?

No mate. Not really. The same as I don't mean literally it's raining cats and dogs when I say it's literally raining cats and dogs. It's the usage of a word for emphasis. I've noticed you don't have the greatest grasp of language's nuances...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2