Boiler stove?

Graham

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

Remembered one that I have seen mentioned as pretty good by Renewable John on here.

The Yorkshire Dunsley. Think he heats a lot of his house with his and he was pretty happy with it last time I saw him.

Its the Dunsley "Yorkshire", they are likely to be a bit pickey about that name in Holmfirth, where it stops off on its way from a foundry in China. (allegedly):D

I have one and its a good bit of kit, it has 2 sets of tappings so it will run rads and hot taps if you plumb a tank in.

If you run it on anything less than tinder dry, the glass will blacken till it gets better fuel but clears itself when you improve its diet. It has a mechanical regulator so you can alter how hot the rads run but that will cost you more fuel. Mine runs in tick over for about 10 hours

• Like 2

I take it ur buying the house or renting??

If the back boiler is the only source of heating currently?

If u replace the back boiler with just a pure wood burner then u need a new boiler too plus the assc pipe work changes.

So a lot might depend on ur exact circumstances and the other plumbing in the house.

If u look throu the various stove sellers u can  get all sorts even big 25+kw stoves only putting 5kw to the room

I'm just renovating a house and don't know if I'm doing the right thing by trying to heat the whole house via underfloor with a log burner.

Can get quite complicated

Yes it can get complicated!  Two more items to consider:

How well insulated is the house?  Heating 8 rads in a poorly insulated drafty house is a different matter from 8 rads in a modern house with very little heat loss.

Having a back boiler needs a lot more management than a simple woodburner.  You have to watch that the water doesn't get too hot and boil, which might  happen when it is not really that cold, and possibly stoke the fire a lot to get all the rads up to heat in cold weather.  Whereas a woodburner that is not connected to rads you just add fuel when it gets a bit low.

If you can achieve the same result by opening some doors to distribute heat around the house, this is a lot simpler than having the back boiler!

Also if it is an open fire with a back boiler I suspect you will burn an awful lot of firewood to get the rads hot....they are much less efficient than woodburners.

7 hours ago, drinksloe said:

I take it ur buying the house or renting??

If the back boiler is the only source of heating currently?

If u replace the back boiler with just a pure wood burner then u need a new boiler too plus the assc pipe work changes.

So a lot might depend on ur exact circumstances and the other plumbing in the house.

If u look throu the various stove sellers u can  get all sorts even big 25+kw stoves only putting 5kw to the room

I'm just renovating a house and don't know if I'm doing the right thing by trying to heat the whole house via underfloor with a log burner.

Can get quite complicated

I'm buying the house. It's about 200 years old so the insulation is on par with that!

The old chap who lived there just had the back boiler which heated four rads and hot water.  Is it not just a simple swap over to existing pipework once the fireplace is sorted out?

I'm really not too bothered with a super duper system or with it being fantastically warm apart from the main living room.  The upstairs I was hoping just to be warmed with the existing rads.  Seems it could be complicated!

I'm possibly in a similar situation with a similar age of house, althou I'm ripping everything out of it and starting from scratch again so should end up with a modern insulated house.

U probably need to consult a plumber and find out the heat required for the radiators, and room. If ur log burner, tank and radiators are not matched either the water will over heat and boil or not heat the tank.

With many of the larger stoves u need a pump which has the added complication that if u have a power cut u can't even put ur fire on to heat the room.

But yes in theory if the new stove is the correct size for ur system u'd just plumb ur stove in to the old plumbing pipes.

• Like 1

Boiler stoves are now very slow sellers.  The reason is that most houses now are fitted with condensing boilers and thus no cold water tank,.    To install a boiler stove provision needs to be in place to vent excess heat in the event fo a power cut stopping the water being pumped around the system.  Usually this involves shipping the excess heat up to a cold water tank in the loft.

To get the optimum performance from a boiler stove usually it needs to be run on solid fuel.   Arada Stratford published outputs are for solid fuel use,  for wood deduct outputs by 30%.

The proposed Lot 20 emissions regs that may come into place in 2022 is likely to kill off boiler stoves as they burn to dirtily so comply.  Technology may though change to clean up emissions.

Probably the best boiler stove on the market at present is the Morso DB15,  its the only stove that can happily burn bituminous house coal.

A

• Like 1

I installed a boiler stove into my new build last August and im really pleased with it.  Its made in Slovenia and it has a cooling coil running through the boiler so if the stove goes over temperature a valve opens allowing mains cold water to run through.

It's plumbed into a 205l direct thermal heat store with an heat exchanger to provide hot water to the taps and shower.

20171114_184942.thumb.jpg.799587b1e04acd506d139a96cec66e27.jpg