Boiler stove?

Graham

Has anyone any experience with them?  I had one years ago and remember how feeble it was trying to heat the rads and the room it sat in.

I shall, hopefully, be moving shortly and the cottage has an open fire with a back boiler to four rads and hot water.  I've heard so many bad things about them ie. heating water but not room or vice versa to not doing either unless they're at full chat which backs up my own experience.

Do I fit a boiler stove or go with a higher output stove and open the door to the stairs and let the heat rise :-)

Any opinions and recommendations gratefully received.  Thanks.

15 minutes ago, Graham said:

Do I fit a boiler stove or go with a higher output stove and open the door to the stairs and let the heat rise :-)

The later. No personal experience but plenty of second hand. Rarely met anyone truly happy with their boiler stove but heard about plenty of problems. Running water through the back of the firebox inevitably cools the firebox temperatures resulting in a dirty and less efficient burn. There are one or two expensive models where the heat is extracted after the combustion chamber and these may well work better.

Like these but boy does it come at a price http://www.walltherm.ca/

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 1

We have a 20 radiator system with 4 underfloor heating arrangements.  This has increased over the years and is right on the limit for a 30kw gas boiler working in conjunction with a 26kw Aarrow Stratford wood boiler via a Dunsley Baker Neutraliser.

To make any wood stove work you obviously need good quality dry, seasoned hardwood.

My advice would be to work out the theoretical size of stove you need then double it.  This is not only because in the real world it will not manage the advertised output but also the bigger the stove, the bigger the lumps of wood so it will last longer and hopefully through the night so you do not have to draw straws with the missus on who has to go and feed it at 4.00 am!

13 minutes ago, Billhook said:

We have a 20 radiator system with 4 underfloor heating arrangements.  This has increased over the years and is right on the limit for a 30kw gas boiler working in conjunction with a 26kw Aarrow Stratford wood boiler via a Dunsley Baker Neutraliser.

To make any wood stove work you obviously need good quality dry, seasoned hardwood.

My advice would be to work out the theoretical size of stove you need then double it.  This is not only because in the real world it will not manage the advertised output but also the bigger the stove, the bigger the lumps of wood so it will last longer and hopefully through the night so you do not have to draw straws with the missus on who has to go and feed it at 4.00 am!

Quite a set up there. For the main room I'd need 6kw.  I had thought along the lines of 10-12kw with the added bonus of 500mm logs.