What skillset makes for a good Groundie?

J&M

1 hour ago, john p said:

It’s also quite job dependent, a lot of my stuff is relatively small scale domestic so me and a £80 lad (who can use a saw, lets it run and doesn’t put the pitchfork through the chipper) are a profitable, happy unit. On other more complex jobs I call in the £120 super groundies/second climbers. Horses for courses.

Thats what you want.  A network of helpers so you can pick and choose the right ones for the right jobs

• Like 2

Thats what you want.  A network of helpers so you can pick and choose the right ones for the right jobs

Yeah, it works well in my neck of the woods, I sub them in, and sub into them on their jobs, a pool of good lads who get on, have a laugh and make good money! It’s not a bad way to make a living
  • Like 4

On 22/04/2018 at 21:03, john p said:

Yeah, it works well in my neck of the woods, I sub them in, and sub into them on their jobs, a pool of good lads who get on, have a laugh and make good money! It’s not a bad way to make a living

Agree with all of this, but if you are only working a week or two in front it can be difficult to get everyone singing off the same hymn sheet however big the pool is.

• Like 1

Agree with all of this, but if you are only working a week or two in front it can be difficult to get everyone singing off the same hymn sheet however big the pool is.

True, it’s a compromise, my customers are a pretty good bunch by and large and most are happy to wait a few weeks when staff/machines need putting in place.

The belittling of ground staff really does piss me off, "brash draggers" is a horrible term to use for  trainee ground staff. Bottom line here is they are all team members , good ground crew can make a very ordinary climber look good in the same way crap ground staff can slow down a decent climber. Everyone being switched on and up to speed with the works program is probably the single most important thing, its all about coordination ,staying safe and team work.

Bob

Edit: Just realised the above is a rant [emoji5]

Ground staff . Preferably first aiders , saw tickets, citb if poss , aerial rescue , mechanically sympathetic , safety aware and know your rigging/knots [emoji4]

Bob

Bob has summed this up in a nut shell.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all for continuing with contributions of thoughts and good advice. I believe the folk I have available to me are just what people are looking for (the fact that they are mostly slightly older responsible people capable of lasting an hour or two between glances at their phones is definitely looking like a plus point. . .)

I'm going to try for making my people and gear available as an 'arborist support team' - watch this space :) 

On 4/23/2018 at 23:27, eggsarascal said:

thats the only downside.  Takes a bit of planning

• 1 month later...

Be able to know what the climber needs at all times, time things correctly, free the ropes stuck in branches. Try to be a step ahead. And drag branches out aware of your surroundings no scraping any buildings. Be aware at all times so climber can keep dropping things without having to stop for some standing in the drop zone.