What skillset makes for a good Groundie?

J&M

I know little of the working methods of Arborists and am seeking some insight into the skills, equipment and qualifications an arborist looks for in their ground workers?

I ask because I often see adverts looking for short term groundies for certain jobs and I am wondering whether I can diversify my small-scale forestry business into meeting this need. I have a few part timers who would be glad of the extra work; guys who are skilled with a saw and have first aid, saw and sometimes chipper qualifications - but like me no experience with tree-surgery or that type of work. Are aerial rescue skills and qualifications necessary?

I have even gone as far as wondering if there would be interest from smaller arborist concerns in a sort of sub-contract 'arborist support package'. Something like a couple of guys with the equipment to handle and process timber quickly and efficiently, either as it comes down or coming in to clear up afterwards. Small tractor, timber trailer, bulk trailers for chip etc. I think that's something that could be offered quite cheaply.

Any contributions are gratefully received!

Being aware .  Knowing when the saw is about to run out and being there with the fuel . Keep brash off the climbers rope . etc etc Dont leave the chipper running when not in use  Keep looking up . Always be doing something ............

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What you describe is pretty much covered by

002011 - City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Supporting Colleagues Undertaking Off Ground Tree Related Operations

You can download the syllabus from NPTC. It would be great if a lot more people had that ticket, it doesn't prove you are a good groundie but it proves that you know what elements make a good one. Just add good attitude and remove mobile phone and , hey presto, someone that you can rely on and don't need to check if he can set up a capstan at short notice , for example. It would be a real bonus to have an aerial rescue-trained groundie.

On the other hand,  not many companies would be willing or able to pay extra to have this sort of person on every job, becasue a lot of the time they just need brash rats.

This industry knows how to do things right but ends up doing them cheaply or quickly a lot of the time, as there's bugger all policing of good work practices. When I was running big jobs I would love to have had the service you describe, when I could book in a competent all-rounder for a day or two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Stubby said:

Being aware .  Knowing when the saw is about to run out and being there with the fuel . Keep brash off the climbers rope . etc etc Dont leave the chipper running when not in use  Keep looking up . Always be doing something ............

Yep, that as well. It's all about attitude. Always be doing something... other than looking at Facebook.

• Thanks 1

I know little of the working methods of Arborists and am seeking some insight into the skills, equipment and qualifications an arborist looks for in their ground workers?

I ask because I often see adverts looking for short term groundies for certain jobs and I am wondering whether I can diversify my small-scale forestry business into meeting this need. I have a few part timers who would be glad of the extra work; guys who are skilled with a saw and have first aid, saw and sometimes chipper qualifications - but like me no experience with tree-surgery or that type of work. Are aerial rescue skills and qualifications necessary?

I have even gone as far as wondering if there would be interest from smaller arborist concerns in a sort of sub-contract 'arborist support package'. Something like a couple of guys with the equipment to handle and process timber quickly and efficiently, either as it comes down or coming in to clear up afterwards. Small tractor, timber trailer, bulk trailers for chip etc. I think that's something that could be offered quite cheaply.

Any contributions are gratefully received!

If you can make a living out of small scale forestry you will find Arb work a walk in the park!
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, daltontrees said:

What you describe is pretty much covered by

002011 - City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Supporting Colleagues Undertaking Off Ground Tree Related Operations

You can download the syllabus from NPTC. It would be great if a lot more people had that ticket, it doesn't prove you are a good groundie but it proves that you know what elements make a good one. Just add good attitude and remove mobile phone and , hey presto, someone that you can rely on and don't need to check if he can set up a capstan at short notice , for example. It would be a real bonus to have an aerial rescue-trained groundie.

On the other hand,  not many companies would be willing or able to pay extra to have this sort of person on every job, becasue a lot of the time they just need brash rats.

This industry knows how to do things right but ends up doing them cheaply or quickly a lot of the time, as there's bugger all policing of good work practices. When I was running big jobs I would love to have had the service you describe, when I could book in a competent all-rounder for a day or two.

That is particularly useful, thank you. 

Two of the people I work with share my interest in climbing/winter mountaineering as a hobby. Is there any real relationship between the equipment and techniques that we are familiar with and those used by arborists? I would not be surprised to find that it would be more a case of unlearning bad habits rather than being in any way helpful. . .