Only a thousand years ....give or take

Khriss

2 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

So the gardener from Bolton is also an expert in dendrochronology, why am I not surprised.

Of course you'll be conversant with literature such as this; https://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/fcin12.pdf/$file/fcin12.pdf , as well as the ancient practices of pollarding that were used in the Royal Forests and Chases pre-Norman times?

See, the thing is I like to read a lot, articles in the thousands over the years.. on all sorts of weird and wonderful subjects..

Just happens a few years back I happened on an article that challenged all these tree myths and the author, whoever he was made a very convincing claim that all these ancient tree's aren't nearly as old as they're made out..  

he'd found descriptions of churchyards from five hundred years back, no mention of a tree planted in the grounds, then fast forward a few hundred years and we have a thousand year old tree, been there before the church, why even before Caesar crossed into Britanicus ..  its all mostly cods wallop..

Looks to me like some tree's just look old as apposed to being old...  there is a difference..

And, if tree's can live to be a thousand years old, were are they now?... a country our size aught posses hundreds of thousands of these ancient specimens..

30 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

And, if tree's can live to be a thousand years old, were are they now?... a country our size aught posses hundreds of thousands of these ancient specimens..

Well , depends when they started to grow . Trees weren't " invented " exactly 1,000 years ago . What about trees that started to grow 2,000 , 5,000 years ago ?  etc etc .  Any way , why have you got to piss on every fire work you come across .?

Edited by Stubby
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Well , depends when they started to grow . trees weren't " invented exactly 1,000 years ago . What about trees that started to grow 2,000 , 5,000 years ago ?  etc etc . Why have you got to piss on every fire work you come across .?

I'm quite happy to believe the giant redwood is a thousand years old. because the evidence is before our eyes..

Not going to believe our tree's are anywhere near as old as there ain't evidence to prove it, just speculation...not quite the same thing is it..

2 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

I'm quite happy to believe the giant redwood is a thousand years old. because the evidence is before our eyes..

Not going to believe our tree's are anywhere near as old as there ain't evidence to prove it, just speculation...not quite the same thing is it..

Yea but you come out with stuff that you spout without any evidence . Why is it all right for you but not others ? :D

9 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Yea but you come out with stuff that you spout without any evidence . Why is it all right for you but not others ? :D

Someone not so long ago told me it was up to me to prove a claim..  well, lets see some evidence of a thousand year old tree with some evidence to back it up..  quite happy to believe it if theres a full tree with a thousand tree rings..  I ain't going accept a hallowed out tree as evidence for anything.. accept that its hollowed out of course...

Well , depends when they started to grow . Trees weren't " invented " exactly 1,000 years ago . What about trees that started to grow 2,000 , 5,000 years ago ?  etc etc .  Any way , why have you got to piss on every fire work you come across .?

Because he can't help himself like that know it all twat character of Harry Enfields "you don't want to do it like that"
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

Someone not so long ago told me it was up to me to prove a claim..  well, lets see some evidence of a thousand year old tree with some evidence to back it up..  quite happy to believe it if theres a full tree with a thousand tree rings..  I ain't going accept a hallowed out tree as evidence for anything.. accept that its hollowed out of course...

If you can find a deciduous  1,000 years old tree that is not hollowed out then you are a magician . You have a point but its your constant " No its not " attitude that makes me bristle . You cant let anyone have their day . Some times  I listen to people who say stuff and I think , Thats not right/true/possible but I let it go coz I think I was like that when I was young and they might see it  different  later in life but you godda shoot every swinging  dick down whatever !  . 

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 3