Naturally drying cordwood down to 20% March to Nov???

cessna

14 hours ago, cessna said:

Many  thanks for your replies . I have to say that I cant recommend our"Black Cone Splitter" highly enough and that if we have our seasons cordwood delivered and split in March we can not do any more to achieve our aims, per thread title.

Interested in the cone splitter, which size have you and on what machine? Any idea on price?

On 17/02/2018 at 13:53, Woodwanter said:

Interested in the cone splitter, which size have you and on what machine? Any idea on price?

Cone splitter :-   " Black Splitter S2 630 "   list price was  £4,350 but you can negotiate  a discounted price.  Supplied  by Exac-One Ltd   Upton on Severn.

Cone splitter was not the cheapest but be warned that the  "screw thread angle is critical for good splitting"and not the same on all splitters.  I use the cone spliter on a 5 or 6 ton 360 which I hire.

The cone splitter has revolutionised  the splitting process by being able  to split the 2.5 /3mtr lengths of cord wood,and restack it.  All I have to do now  is to cut the seasoned  long lengths  in to two and lift them on the processor  intake belt  and away you go.        

I have to say I bought the cone splitter with money from other income and not money made from firewood, but at 67 I like to make life as easy possible,wise guys will say if that is  the case why bother doing firewood, and I will say that is my business. 

Hope the above helps.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cessna said:

Cone splitter :-   " Black Splitter S2 630 "   list price was  £4,350 but you can negotiate  a discounted price.  Supplied  by Exac-One Ltd   Upton on Severn.

Cone splitter was not the cheapest but be warned that the  "screw thread angle is critical for good splitting"and not the same on all splitters.  I use the cone spliter on a 5 or 6 ton 360 which I hire.

The cone splitter has revolutionised  the splitting process by being able  to split the 2.5 /3mtr lengths of cord wood,and restack it.  All I have to do now  is to cut the seasoned  long lengths  in to two and lift them on the processor  intake belt  and away you go.        

I have to say I bought the cone splitter with money from other income and not money made from firewood, but at 67 I like to make life as easy possible,wise guys will say if that is  the case why bother doing firewood, and I will say that is my business. 

Hope the above helps.  

That's very helpful, thanks

i have been looking in to getting one, i 'only' need to break down about 300 t per annum but it's all for personal use and I am not much bothered by length or size of finished product. I am collecting it locally and then trying to get it dry hence the need for a splitter of sorts as it comes in all sorts of lumps.

did you look at log nibblers instead? Did you look at any other cone splitter makes, I hadn't considered the cone angle, what do you think is the optimum angle?

i have a 3.5 and 7.5t machine, prefer to use the larger unit as better reach and would assume a little quicker?

4 hours ago, Woodwanter said:

That's very helpful, thanks

i have been looking in to getting one, i 'only' need to break down about 300 t per annum but it's all for personal use and I am not much bothered by length or size of finished product. I am collecting it locally and then trying to get it dry hence the need for a splitter of sorts as it comes in all sorts of lumps.

did you look at log nibblers instead? Did you look at any other cone splitter makes, I hadn't considered the cone angle, what do you think is the optimum angle?

i have a 3.5 and 7.5t machine, prefer to use the larger unit as better reach and would assume a little quicker?

I did not look at log nibblers (????). I did look at a few other makes,but after talking to some owners , I decided to go for the "Black", distributor not far away from me. From I was told it is the screw thread  pitch which  is the critical bit.  I think 7,5t machine  would be safer than 3.5 machine especially  IF swinging 3mtr long 450mm dia material  around.  Cone splitter has almost made my vertical splitter redundant.For any more info PM me .

22 hours ago, cessna said:

I did not look at log nibblers (????). I did look at a few other makes,but after talking to some owners , I decided to go for the "Black", distributor not far away from me. From I was told it is the screw thread  pitch which  is the critical bit.  I think 7,5t machine  would be safer than 3.5 machine especially  IF swinging 3mtr long 450mm dia material  around.  Cone splitter has almost made my vertical splitter redundant.For any more info PM me .

Thanks for this.

my nibbler description was poor, it's like tree shears / pincers but they have sharp points that bite into and split timber, same concept as cone splitter but different design.

Pros and cons to both!

In general Never but i have seen hardwood get below 25% once . There could not have been more optimum conditions . It had been machine harvested so the bark was peeled and removed over a fair portion of the surface , it was on an elevated exposed south facing site stacked loosely . 4 good bays only made slightly over 18 Tonnes . The guy was doing big quantities of spruce in the same area and had railway sleepers on edge with covers on top . Was the best place i ever saw for naturally drying firewood .