SRT HSE question

Bayhales

The problem here is not whether to climb srt or not its how to get the company to apply it to the method statement and or risk assesment.

Some companies have generic risk assesments that apply to all tree works and are very dismissive of anyone trying to change/update/adjust them.

Local authorities are very guilty of this and as a consequence have been caught out more than a couple of times when clark of works or hse have sniffed about a jobsite.

Simple fact is if you can prove srt is safer,quicker,causes less fatigue and can increase productivity then any sane employer would readily agree to its employees using the system.

Unfortunatly for some employers this means a whole lot of paper work,phone calls and perhaps even an adjustment to insurance cover.

Too much to ask of your run of the mill office jockey...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/16/2018 at 12:52, Arctostaphylos uva-ursi said:

Bayhales - It would be interesting to know from your employer why they don't allow it and the reasons behind their thinking.

when it comes to touchy insurance stipulations I can see the boss sticking with a firm no at the moment. Recon I'll  hang on for a minute until I hear from others in the same situation before asking questions.

On 2/16/2018 at 19:39, Old Mill Tree Care said:

Well if you are saying to them that you’re climbing on a single line, just don’t specify what configuration you are using that line in. ie: doubled or stationary.
In my mind, SRT means Stationary Rope Technique.
DbRT means DouBled Rope Technique.
They’re both single line techniques though!

Regardless of the system you’re using, it’s still a single line, as in one line.
Unless your climbing on twin lines ie: two lines/ropes.

Hanging from one line 'looks'  more dangerous than hanging from two (DdRT)

As you say it makes no difference as there both still a single line. Cut either running or terminated part and your going down. The point you make, to me illustrates how someone with no actual climbing experience could see srt as looking more dangerous than a doubled rope system.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Actually Old Mill- I thought using two sepperate ropes Was Drt  ! I dunno - its all so confusing - might just buy that Unicender after all , am sick of retying hitchs n wot nots K

Yes I think climbing on two ropes is Drt but aka TRT = Twin Rope Technique lol!

If you’re sick of hitches and knots, get a Bulldog Bone. [emoji1360]
  • Like 1