SRT HSE question

Bayhales

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

I would say as you 'qualified ' under NPTC or Lantra - you climbed on the 'prussic ' and 'loop' so that is all yr allowed to use until they upgrade the assessment ( obvs I completedly ignored that .... )

Although , if it is a 'safe system' of ' work positioning '  ( all equipment CE and load rated ) then really I cannot see the problem ! K

That's interesting what you've said there. 

To me it seems the suits behind the red tape are looking to pick on something in our industry. And a ticket to show that you can climb single line is gunna make governing bodies more money!

I climbed my last nptc refreshers SRT, except arial rescue that is ... never been asked not to climb SRT but if your gear is CE marked and the wrench is I don’t see why they would disallow it ? In my opinion it keeps you less fatigued and lessons the chance of an accident and keeps you more productive.

I would definitely go on strike if I was forced to climb on a double rope again .. what a ball ache !

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MattyF said:

I climbed my last nptc refreshers SRT, except arial rescue that is ... never been asked not to climb SRT but if your gear is CE marked and the wrench is I don’t see why they would disallow it ? In my opinion it keeps you less fatigued and lessons the chance of an accident and keeps you more productive.

I would definitely go on strike if I was forced to climb on a double rope again .. what a ball ache !

couldn't agree more mate. 

I can walk up a line 20 meters without breaking a sweat whereas someone else hip thrusting 20m will eventually have a heart attack. So then they will have to be rescued. What would be quicker in a rescue, double line or running up a static line to the casualty? I know which one I would go for! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would say as you 'qualified ' under NPTC or Lantra - you climbed on the 'prussic ' and 'loop' so that is all yr allowed to use until they upgrade the assessment ( obvs I completedly ignored that .... )

Although , if it is a 'safe system' of ' work positioning '  ( all equipment CE and load rated ) then really I cannot see the problem ! K

Would that not mean you can’t use a ZZ or lock jack as well, because you were not trained on it?

51 minutes ago, Jon@CareFell said:

Would that not mean you can’t use a ZZ or lock jack as well, because you were not trained on it?

No

When your trained by nptc to climb you are taught how to set up climbing systems and the principles behind climbing safely on whichever system you chose.

The principles are the same for 3 knot system,prussik,hitch climber or a mechanical ascender.

• Like 1