The Sheriffs Are Coming.

Mick Dempsey

Yeah, had about 10 years of these bastards back in the Thatcher era when my start up borrowings suddenly started costing me 18.5% interest, ....a near impossible situation to extract yourself from as a sole trader as everything you earn vanishes,....at the time the guy with the clipboard was polite but he was always accompanied by a cant.... never borrowed a penny since so perhaps it was a hard lesson well learnt.

Interestingly enough most of the tv programme was featuring folk who'd not paid a supplier or ripped someone off, that makes them fair game imo, .....it's not something I'd ever do,

if you pay up front ..your never behind !! 

On 15 February 2018 at 01:19, agrimog said:

there is plenty of documented evidence out there, some of it has even made national press.and most of the actions you see these thugs carrying out is actually against the law, they have no power, and are actually operating illegally

Tbh, you must be watching a different show to me. The sheriffs I see in the shows are normally very professional..... If you've proof they are operating illegally you should go to the police....

Some of it is fair enough ie companies not paying or sub standard work  but a lot of its a sign of the times we live in. Companies throwing loans and cash at you at crazy near criminal interest rates. The throwaway consumer society we live in where we are encouraged to have the next best new thing, Private sector rentals  etc etc. Saw one recently where a whole family was put out before Xmas by a private landlord, watching that just brought home how easy it is to end up in that situation ie self employed and a bad injury or whatever and it doesn't take much before your backs to the wall. Few years back whilst looking for a house I went to see a house that turned out to be a Bank repossession, kids bedrooms still had toys and pics etc on walls seeing that was enough for me I walked out then and there as I knew that's all id ever associate the place with.

• Like 1

matelot......report it to the police......you having a laugh......the majority of balif cons that are shown are civil ones, in which the police have no authority by the way, they can only attend to prevent a breach of the peace(another con), but surprise surprise the police turn up, assist the baliffs in forcing entry(illegal) and side with the baliffs, often arresting the house holder in the process. there are plenty of recorded cases where the police officers have been taken to court and fined heavilly, and others where the householder has actually known the law, used force, evicted the balliffs and pollice and had them charged......but thios doesnt make good tv, and they will never tell you this, also the baliff waves a bit of paper under the camera and calls it a warrant......lies, a warrant must carry the court stamp, and have bothe the name of the signatory, and a wet ink signature......not a bit of paper the baliff has printed out...this is technically fraud, but do the police act on it.........

• Like 3

just a wee thought for anyone who thinks that these baliffs are upfront honest citizens, why do they all try there hardest to look like police officers in the way they dress, and the action, and attitude they adopt.........its to intimidate the poor person who doesnt realise they have no power at all........the bit of paper they wave about is about as much use as a bookies line'

and before any one comments on my  attitude towards them, I hate them, and will go out of my way to educate folk about what they can do to fight back against the crooks and conmen who masqueradeas court officials

• Like 3